Blog Entries

Mexico shows displeasure with border plan

Advertisements
    http://www.comcast.net/news/internat...19/287292.html

Of course he thinks it's stupid.

Mexican Official Calls Fence Plan 'Stupid'
    By WILL WEISSERT, Associated Press Writer
    Mon Dec 19, 9:08 PM

MEXICO CITY - Mexico's foreign secretary Monday leveled his country's sharpest criticism yet at U.S. proposal for a fence along parts of its southern border, condemning it as "stupid" and "underhanded."

In a radio interview, Luis Ernesto Derbez said U.S. legislators who approved the bill were turning a blind eye to the contributions millions of migrants from Mexico and elsewhere make to America's economy and culture.

"It's a law that looks underhanded to everybody ... stupid," Derbez said.

On Friday, the U.S. House of Representatives voted 239-182 in favor of an immigration enforcement bill, which includes a proposal to build 700 miles of border fencing along parts of California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.

Under the measure, soldiers and police would help stop people sneaking across, and employers would have to check the legal status of their workers.

Derbez said he was confident the bill would not make it past the U.S. Senate, which he said was not as easily swayed as the House.

Reacting Sunday to the bill's approval, Mexican President Vicente Fox said "this wall is shameful," and called the plan hypocritical for a country made up of immigrants.

Fox has for years called for an immigration agreement with Washington granting some form of legal status to Mexicans who sneak into U.S. territory in search of work.

President Bush proposed a new guest worker program with three-year work visas, but lawmakers refused to include the initiative in the immigration bill passed Friday.

Authorities estimate there are about 11 million undocumented migrants in the United States, about half of them Mexican.
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  2. Senior Member
    Like it states, there are 11 million immigrants, of those at least 5.5 million come from all different areas. So maybe we should just create this huge wall all around the US and then nobody gets in. I hate how they are always attacking the mexican side of the border when it's not just mexicans coming over. I could see how they want to stop them from coming seeing how everybody is just dying to pick fruit or work 100 hours a week at $2 an hour. If anybody has ever seen the movie " A Day without a Mexican" it would prove my point.
  3. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    We need to do something about illegal immigrants sneaking over the border. A large majority of illegal immigrants in this country comes from Mexico. Maybe it's "not just Mexican's coming over" as you stated, but whatever nationality they are, they're coming from Mexico nonetheless. Anything is better than nothing. Of course the Mexican president thinks it's stupid...that was kind've my point.
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  4. La Xicana
    La Xicana
    Blog Entries
    The wall is not just pointless, its a bigger waste of money for taxpayers. If taxpayers are so worried about immigrants making their taxes higher, I think they should take a little closer look at what the 'officials' are spending that tax money on, pointless crap like this. Its not migrants raising taxes, its lawmakers.
  5. Always n Forever
    Always n Forever
    I think its a good idea..do we ever hear of Canadians trying to come to america? Our unemployment rate is outrageous as it is. I dont understand why people come here then do nothing but complain about how we dont support them?

ETA: its just not the people..its the drugs, guns and other crap that is being brought in by illegal means
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse Girl
    Maybe it's "not just Mexican's coming over" as you stated, but whatever nationality they are, they're coming from Mexico nonetheless.
    See I didn't know that all the immigrants (Chinese, Middle Eastern, German, etc) were coming from Mexico. I didn't know the Mexican border was the only unprotected border in the US. So I guess all these boats that keep getting caught full of Chinese (just an example) off the coast of New York are legal because they didn't come from Mexico.

I totally understand the fact that we do have to protect the borders because it's not just people getting smuggled in but I hate that whenever we mention immigrants they seem to pinpoint Mexicans only. No Canadians aren't trying to sneak over here becuase their country isn't considered third world and they aren't struggling to keep food on the table. People coming over here illegaly aren't here to waste time. They are here to work all the jobs that nobody else wants at ridiculous wages because as ridiculous as they are here, they are still getting paid 3 or 4 times more than what they would be getting paid in Mexico. Do you really think people sneak over here for the fun of it. And I'm talking about everyone not just Mexicans.
  7. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    I didn't say that all the immigrants were coming from Mexico. What I said was:

A large majority of illegal immigrants in this country comes from Mexico. Maybe it's "not just Mexican's coming over" as you stated, but whatever nationality they are (SPECIFICALLY REFERRING TO THE LARGE MAJORITY THAT ARE COMING FROM MEXICO) they're coming from Mexico nonetheless.
    ETA: The use of "they" in this paragraph refers to the large majority of illegal immigrants that comes from Mexico.

There's no need to get all pissy about it. It's just my opinion. Next time you decide to point something directly at me, make sure you understand what has been said.
    Last edited by Becca; 12-20-2005 at 02:53 PM.
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  8. Senior Member
    Calm down, I didn't get "all pissy". The, "they're coming from Mexico nonetheless," is what made it seem like you thought all immigrants came from Mexico. I wasn't going to disect the comment, I just read it and responded. I didn't think you would get soo offeneded.
  9. Senior Member
    My parents came from Mexico and they actually went through the whole process to become citizens and it was hard but they did it. Now it's really difficult to get it done legally, because they change the guidelines every week and a lot of people aren't going to go through the process when they can just pay one of the border patrol officers or somebody to cross them over. People need to realize that people don't just climb a fence to get here. There are lots of crooked people out there that get paid to cross people over or that are paid to ignore certain vehicles full of people. So putting up this wall is a quick fix that's going to cost lots of taxpayer money. You aren't going to get rid of all the crooked people or americans that make lots of money crossing people over. Heck, I've even heard of tunnels being dug now so a wall really isn't going to stop much. It may temporarily but not for too long.
  10. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brialee
    Calm down, I didn't get "all pissy". The, "they're coming from Mexico nonetheless," is what made it seem like you thought all immigrants came from Mexico. I wasn't going to disect the comment, I just read it and responded. I didn't think you would get soo offeneded.
    I wasn't under the impression that I was the pissy one. Maybe I misunderstood your tone. I simply felt the need to clarify myself, since you apparently hadn't read my entire post. If you had read the entire thread, you wouldn't have taken the "they're coming from Mexico nonetheless" the way you did.

No offense taken.
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast