Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S/O of Avg Weight- Kids n Weight, ur weight etc

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

S/O of Avg Weight- Kids n Weight, ur weight etc

Advertisements
    Do or would you enroll your child in a sport or activity to help prevent them from being overweight?

Would you change both their and your eating habits?

Are you afraid your child may or is going to end up obese? Would it matter to you?

Do you think it is an actual legitimate claim that child obessity is on the rise?

Just some thoughts that came to mind while reading the average weight thread...

Idk debates seemed appropriate.
    Sarah

.... Um... nothing to see here
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Do or would you enroll your child in a sport or activity to help prevent them from being overweight?

Personally I would b/c I do not want my kids to be unhealthy. I swam my whole life in compettition and then moved into weight training, running, and coaching. I kind of view it as an alternative to them wandering about after school etc. It taught me responsiblity and how to be healthy in general.

I would try. I eat poorly b/c my mom does and since we were always swimming we could eat anything and not gain weight. However, that is no longer the case.

Are you afraid your child may or is going to end up obese? Would it matter to you?

I am afraid. I know it sounds snotty and rude, and bitchy. But I do not want them unhealty or depressed b/c they are overweight.

Do you think it is an actual legitimate claim that child obessity is on the rise?

From what I have seen just w/i the swimming circle and out in public I think ti is completely legitimate claim.

Of course, I am crazy about my weight and stuff so this is just my opinion
    Sarah

3. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Do or would you enroll your child in a sport or activity to help prevent them from being overweight? Yes - because in our school district they only have gym 1 hr a week instead of every day like when we were kids, which is horrible, honestly. And school takes up 8/9 hours of the day with homework in the evening leaving outside of school activity time very limited.

Would you change both their and your eating habits? Yes - we've done this, actually - even if weight isn't an issue then overall health should be.

Are you afraid your child may or is going to end up obese? Would it matter to you? The baby, yes, he's an eating machine and when we combine our weight-gaining genetics I do worry and will plan to avoid this at all costs.

Do you think it is an actual legitimate claim that child obessity is on the rise? Yep, unfortunately, it is.
  4. Senior Member

I don't have kids, but yes I absolutely would. I mean I would support them in whatever extra-curricular activity they would want to pursue. For me as a child, I hated sports. I was always more artistic. But my mom signed me up for many physical activities until I found something I liked-- gymnastics, and I really enjoyed it. Whenever I do have kids I will make sure they are active in some way.

I am currently in the process of changing the way I eat because I am scared of being on the track to becoming obese. I am not worried looks-wise, it's more for my health.

I would blame it on myself if I ever let my (future) child become obese. So it would matter. But I would try and take all necessary steps in order to prevent that.

Do you think it is an actual legitimate claim that child obesity is on the rise?

Yep.
  5. Senior Member
    Do or would you enroll your child in a sport or activity to help prevent them from being overweight? I plan on enrolling both my children into sports or other activities (let them choose which ones they like and then stick with it) just for over all well being. You learn alot, you let out aggression, you get fresh air, excersize (sp!?), learn to work as a team, bla bla you know the drill lol. I wouldnt do it just to get them to lose weight though.

Would you change both their and your eating habits? yes. We already eat very healthy. drink only water and milk (ocassionaly we'll get juice, but not usually), whole grain or wheat pasta, lots and LOTS of fresh fruit and veggies. No junk. (well, i like to bake, so, that's a lie, but it's not like little debbies junk with high fructose corn syrup , it's good homemade junk lol)

Are you afraid your child may or is going to end up obese? Would it matter to you? I am not afraid because my son nursed for so long and when he did start eating solid foods it was real food, not the crap they put in a jar and call baby food lol. (sorry to anyone who likes baby food, it's just not for us!) If he was obese, it would matter to me because i would worry about his quality of life.

Do you think it is an actual legitimate claim that child obessity is on the rise? absolutely. And dont be fooled by the media. If you read the ingrediants in almost all baby/kid "food" it would make anyone obese. the formula NOW adays aids in obesity. Before the formula didnt have all the fats and stuff that they do now to try to imitate breastmilk. Since the fats arent natural fats, the body uses them/reacts to them differently. Also, just the availability of junk in general; fast food, pre-packaged foods, etc etc it's all bad and readily available. (i know, i used to be a mcdonalds junkie! Lol)
    "R is one of the most menacing of sounds, that's why it's called muRdeR and not muckduck"
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    See I did not even know that about baby foods and formula -knowledge is power-

No one ever tells you the good stuff. :ty Madd55
    Sarah

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I don't eat junk food or keep it in my house, and we are all very active. If anyone started gaining weight, I'd scratch my head, take them to their doctor, and make sure there wasn't another issue.

I'm not afraid my children will end up obese. If they turn out chubby, and are still otherwise healthy kids and I've done everything in my power to help them, then I wouldn't be bothered by it until they were.

Definitely, in some cases, it's best to consult a nutritionist to figure out the individual calorie intake needs of your child. What's appropriate for one person might not be for another. I'd definitely head straight for one if we started having issues, as obesity can lead to all sorts of other health problems.
  8. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    my children do not necissarily need to be enrolled in sports, they LOVE riding their bikes and playing outside. activity is what is important.

Our diet is very healthy. I try to plan our meals so that they are very healthy.

The only reason child obesity is on the rise is b/c of lazy parents giving too much fast food and letting their kids be consumed by the television, video games and computers.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Do or would you enroll your child in a sport or activity to help prevent them from being overweight? Yes but i wouldn't make them do it kicking and screaming if they didnt want to do sports then perhaps we could do an activity together even if it was as simple as walking

Would you change both their and your eating habits? yes i would fix anything to have my child have a better life and we do try to eat healthy

Are you afraid your child may or is going to end up obese? Would it matter to you?Not really everyone in hubby and I's family is naturally thin and i would love them no matter what.I would try to teach them to be confident in the skin their in

Do you think it is an actual legitimate claim that child obessity is on the rise? Yes it seems more kids would rather play video games then go outside and play.I remember riding my bike everywhere when i was younger but nowdays even that isnt safe, the playgrounds used to be packed with kids but now i hardly see any
    Last edited by norfpo; 03-26-2008 at 08:31 PM.
    "I believe that everything happens for a reason.People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so that eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together"-Marilyn Monroe
  10. MsSchelz

Yes. I would not force them to play a sport they absolutely hate, but try to find a sport/activity that they enjoy. It's healthy and good for social skills, also keeps them from getting in trouble.

I don't buy junk food. I try to keep fresh fruits and vegetables to snack on. Also try to keep soda out of the house.

I have three children, one child probably qualifies as being obese. Even though I try to help her with her food choices and she stays active, I think a lot of it is in her genes. Her paternal grandmother & uncle are very overweight. She's tried diet workshops, weight watchers, etc. I am so thankful that she still has self confidence and enjoys school & her friends. I don't bug her or constantly get onto her about her weight. (her grandmother does that enough) If I notice she's going overboard on food intake, I will say something to her. But, I feel until she really wants to put a lot of effort into losing weight, me harrassing her would only cause her emotional issues and stress our relationship.At this point it is not a health risk, she is currently healthy and active and happy.

It seems obesity is on the rise in general. However, it seems most kids play more computer or video games now days, and not as much outside running around. I think that and more fast food has a lot to do with children being overweight
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast