Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Average Weight

1. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries

Average Weight

Advertisements
    This isn't actually a debate, but I can see the potential for it to turn into one. I read an article the other day in a health magazine that said the average height and weight for a woman is 5'4" 164 lbs. So, I remember reading a similar article 10 years ago that said the average height and weight were 5'4" 144 lbs. Isn't that startling? I need to post some research to back this up, but how do you feel about it?

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    As medical advances have gotten better they have realized that being healthy is more then skin and bones. 10 years ago the thing was very thin. But with knowledge has shown that too thin can have health issues just as too overweight. So they try and find the comfortable medium. Personally going by weight shouldnt be an only factor. You need to factor in muscle mass etc. So 1 person at 5'4" at 144lbs can be just as healthy and look just the same as a person that is 5'4" and 164lbs. Its all really a guidleline and it really depends onb one structure, and many other things
  3. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/growt..._wt_female.htm

Question: What is the Average Weight for an Adult Woman?

Answer: According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the average weight for an adult female in the United States is:

162.9 pounds
    This statistic for the average weight for an adult female is from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) conducted from 1999-2002.

4. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    http://www.enotes.com/science-fact-f...weight-for-man

In the United States, what is the average height and weight for a man and a woman?
    The average female is 5 feet, 3.75 inches (1.62 meters) tall and weighs 135 pounds (61.24 kilograms). The average male is 5 feet, 9 inches (1.75 meters) tall and weighs 162 pounds (73.48 kilograms). Between 1960 and 1990 the average American male became 2 inches (5 centimeters) taller and 27 pounds (12.25 kilograms) heavier, while the average American woman also grew 2 inches (5 centimeters) taller, but gained only 1 pound (0.45 kilograms).

5. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaymara View Post
    As medical advances have gotten better they have realized that being healthy is more then skin and bones. 10 years ago the thing was very thin. But with knowledge has shown that too thin can have health issues just as too overweight. So they try and find the comfortable medium. Personally going by weight shouldnt be an only factor. You need to factor in muscle mass etc. So 1 person at 5'4" at 144lbs can be just as healthy and look just the same as a person that is 5'4" and 164lbs. Its all really a guidleline and it really depends onb one structure, and many other things
    I totally agree with you on the health thing. However, I'm looking at it more from the perspective that on average we are all 20 lbs heavier than 10 years ago. That is shocking to me.

6. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneyBug View Post
    I totally agree with you on the health thing. However, I'm looking at it more from the perspective that on average we are all 20 lbs heavier than 10 years ago. That is shocking to me.
    That is what I was thinking... it is very sad to know. America is one of the "fattest" countries though. with all the fast food everywhere now, it is so much easier to gain weight.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I'm not suprised at all, America is one of the heaviest nations in the world. Although I agree, someone who is 5'4'' and 144 lbs could very well be healthier than someone who is 5'7'' and 120 lbs. Skinny doesn't = healthy. There are tons of fat "skinny" people.

What is the ideal weight for a 5'4'' person I wonder?
  8. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    Ah but it didn't say 5'4 164 was a "healthy" weight. It just said it was the average weight. That being said, it's not surprising to me that we're averaging 10 pounds heavier now than 10 years ago, not surprising at all.
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  9. Photographer in Southern CA
    Photographer in Southern CA
    Blog Entries

hmm thats my height and weight and I HATE it.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I am a big person. I eat less the many people do. I exercise and I CAN"T lose the weight. When I starved myself for over 2 years I could only get down to a size 11. What is normal for one person isn't always right for another. I wish people would just quit making a cookie cutter mold that we are all to fit into.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast