Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: selecting child's gender s/o

1. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries

selecting child's gender s/o

Advertisements
    This is a spin off from this thread. http://militarysos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154079 How do you feel about gender selection when it's not medically based (meaning it's just being done to "even the family out"). Most places that do this that I have found online you are NOT eligible for gender selection if you have NO children. You have to have at least 1 living child to be considered for it.

Here is the link that I posted in the other thread that explains it and the other ways of gender selection and who is and is not eligible.
    http://genderselectioncenter.com/faqs.html#how

Debate
  2. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    I am not for it. I prefer to have what God see's fit to give me but to each his own.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i want what God is going to give me, not choose
  4. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries
    I don't think ANY form of 'designer baby' making is good - and I don't think it should be allowed.

My little Loves!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I am against it 100%! It's not our place to play God. I agree with Parkwoodmom!

If we start choosing the gender, where do we draw the line? Blonde hair? Blue eyes? IQ? Be happy with what God gives you!!!!!!

Last edited by MichelleB; 03-24-2008 at 12:13 PM.
  6. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by Traci View Post
    I am not for it. I prefer to have what God see's fit to give me but to each his own.
    X2
  7. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    i do not think i would pay to choose the gender, but we did try for a boy this time with the method on webmd. I know it probably wont work... but it was trying.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I personally feel it's messing with something we shouldn't..
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    See to me, I dont see this as any different from someone doing the Shettles or Whelan method (doing things that help you have one or the other), with the exception that you are paying money and the chances are a lot higher to get what you want.

Whelan Method

The Whelan method, created by Elizabeth Whelan, is simply timing intercourse on specific days of the menstral cycle in order to achieve conception of the desired gender. Whelan claims her technique is 68 percent effective for boys and 56 percent effective for girls, but many experts dispute this.

According to Whelan, if a woman wants a boy, she should have intercourse four to six days before her basal body temperature goes up. If she wants a girl she should have sex two to three days before she ovulates. The woman must take her basal body temperature every day to figure out when she is ovulating, or use an ovulation prediction kit.

Whelan also suggested that women follow a certain diet: if a woman wants a boy, she needs to make sure her diet is rich in salt and potassium. If it is a girl she is after, her diet should include lots of calcium and magnesium. Examples of boy diet foods are salty meats such as bacon, ham, or sausage, salted chips and nuts, and lots of carbohydrates. Some girl diet foods include dairy products, ice cream, fruit juice, and very low- or no-salt items.

The Whelan method directly contradicts the Shettles method.
    The Shettles Method is based on the premise that sperm carrying the X and Y chromosomes have different characteristics and that you can influence the reproductive environment to favor one or the other. According to the theory, it is the sperm that fertilizes the egg that will determine the sex of your baby. Some sperm carry the X-chromosome and some sperm carry the Y-chromosome. If an X-chromosome-carrying sperm fertilizes the egg, the baby will be a girl. If a Y-chromosome-carrying sperm fertilizes the egg, the baby will be a boy.

The idea behind the Shettles Method of sex selection is based on the premise that the X and Y chromosome carrying sperm have different characteristics and that under different circumstances either X- or Y-chromosome-carrying sperm will be more likely to fertilize the egg.

The Y-chromosome-carrying sperm are said to be faster and smaller than the X-chromosome carrying sperm and die faster than the X-chromosome-carrying sperm. The X-chromosome-carrying sperm are said to be slower than the Y-chromosome carrying sperm and be better able to withstand the acidic cervical environment before fertile cervical fluid is produced.

Based on these premises, according to Shettles, you can time intercourse, choose a sexual position that favors conception of your preferred sex and influence the reproductive environment to increase the likelihood of conceiving your preferred sex.
  10. Senior Member
    I agree with all the other ladies and am completely against it. I am a believer in 'everything happens for a reason' and that includes God's decision to bless me with either a boy, girl, or both.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast