Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: what are your views on children and imaginary friends?

1. Senior Member

what are your views on children and imaginary friends?

Advertisements
    Should they be allowed to imagine them? Should they be encouraged if they have one? Should they not be allowed? Is there an age where its more accepted ?
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    If the child is 14 and has an imaginary friend there's something WRONG, or it's a ghost....

Ethan isn't into that yet.
  3. Senior Member
    I think it's ok for kids to have imaginary friends. Dia has an imaginary zoo lol. She has a turtle, a giraffe and a lion. It comes & goes and I don't make an issue out of it either way.

When I was a kid Yoda (so not lying about this lol) was my imaginary friend. He had a wife, kids, grandkids, great grandkids etc. Whenever we'd travel or move, my mom would leave 1 suitcase empty for yoda and his family lol
  4. (i carry it in my heart)
    (i carry it in my heart)
    I think that imaginary friends are a great exercise for a kid's imagination - what harm could there be? I think that about 9 - 10 years old is the limit though, (maybe younger - kids are growing up so fast these days) at that point they should be established enough in school or whatever to devote their time and energy to real life friends.
    Oh, hey. I'm back!
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i think it's perfectly healthy. i also think that in some cases it is a spirit coming to visit.
  6. I love being Mommy
    I love being Mommy
    I see nothing wrong with a toddler-1st grader having one. It means that they have a great imagination or for some reason feel the need to. And it should not be ridiculed or objected. I also personally think thats its really cute to watch a child with one.
  7. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

at 5-6 i had an imaginary friend, his name was Dinner .... LOL! Totally serious. I really dont know, i guess 10?
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by icarryyourheart View Post
    I think that imaginary friends are a great exercise for a kid's imagination - what harm could there be? I think that about 9 - 10 years old is the limit though, (maybe younger - kids are growing up so fast these days) at that point they should be established enough in school or whatever to devote their time and energy to real life friends.

My 2 1/2 y/o has an imaginary horse that he takes to get dinner every night... His 3 favorite things.. Chicken... Burger and fries...lol... He also has conversations with all the stuffed animals in his room... Its fricking hilarious to listen to in the morning when he wakes up....

Also my 16 month old makes sure that she baby talks to all her babies in the morning and gives them all kisses...
    Mrs. Villanueva
    [/CENTER]
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain. View Post
    I think it's ok for kids to have imaginary friends. Dia has an imaginary zoo lol. She has a turtle, a giraffe and a lion. It comes & goes and I don't make an issue out of it either way.

When I was a kid Yoda (so not lying about this lol) was my imaginary friend. He had a wife, kids, grandkids, great grandkids etc. Whenever we'd travel or move, my mom would leave 1 suitcase empty for yoda and his family lol
    Zach has the zoo as well..LOL
    I think they are a normal part of childhood and it's wrong to stifle it
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    My sister had an imaginary friend up until she was seriously 13. She has a very overactive mind/imagination and that sort of thing is what kept her happy. She was made fun of a lot for it and she cried herself to sleep a lot of nights. It broke my fucking heart.
    I think if she's happy with herself that way then why the hell provoke her mind and who are WE or who are her FUCKING COUNSELORS to tell her she's wrong? The same counselor told my mother that the reason the 'ghost' living in my sisters closet was named 'Elizabeth' (My middle name) is because my sister and I didn't have a close relationship and my sister was crying out to me.
    BULL SHIT! I wanted to kill that women. Let kids be freaking kids. We all lose our innocence, sometime...why sooner than later, is that really better?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast