Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: not sure how to title this but... Rank and children..

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

not sure how to title this but... Rank and children..

Advertisements
    IRL I know people who are having money issues constantly or are a really low rank and eating like ramen everynight yet trying for 2nd children. What do you think about this??
    I'm not sure how even to pose the question but I think the majority of you will get my gist.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I'm all for couples having as many children as they can afford. If they're eating ramen every night they obviously can't afford a second child. JMO

Visit my Etsy Shop, Creative Dragonfly, for handmade baby and children's items.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Well there's nothing wrong with having a baby, even if you have to pinch pennies. There's nothing wrong with keeping things modest. IDK about if you seriously have to pinch them that much, though. You'd think having one child a person would realize how much $ it takes to raise a baby, regardless of how much you scrimp.
  4. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

I think that if you are barely getting by, living paycheck to paycheck, you should wait. Thats MHO. I know that you can never be totally ready for a kid but i think you should atleast be living comfortably beforehand.
  5. aka yankeelady78
    aka yankeelady78
    I think the desire to have a child is a very powerful emotion for a woman, and it's hard to quench it, even when your finances aren't the best and you know it's not a great idea to have another.
    Amy
  6. Senior Member
    Some people have different priorities...if the kids are fed, have clean clothes and a roof over their head and plenty of love, then its not my place to judge.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    It's really personal preference, I think. My in laws were POOR but made it work. I don't really know if I could place judgment on someone's choice to have a child based on what I personally feel is a good standard of living... maybe theirs isn't the same, maybe they weren't raised that way. Who really knows. I'm sure there are people out there who think we're nutts for having 4 children on one E6/E7 salary... I've heard comments even here on the boards about how parents shouldn't have kids if they can't afford college for them or only one child per every 30K of salary or you should have at least so much savings or whatever else. I just try to remember that everyone has different standards for what they feel is a good or okay standard of living. I don't personally think eating ramen everynight is a good standard of living but do they seriously eat ramen every night? Maybe they just have tight periods between paydays or have hit some rough spots with emergencies and had to find areas to pinch pennies.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Genna View Post
    Some people have different priorities...if the kids are fed, have clean clothes and a roof over their head and plenty of love, then its not my place to judge.
  9. Senior Member
    My personal belief is that I would not choose to have a child until we were able to live comfortably. I wouldn't want to struggle financially. I don't like what that does to a family. At the rank my husband is (E-5), we'll be waiting a while.

But everyone is different. As long as you can provide for your child it's not my place to judge.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    It's really personal preference, I think. My in laws were POOR but made it work. I don't really know if I could place judgment on someone's choice to have a child based on what I personally feel is a good standard of living... maybe theirs isn't the same, maybe they weren't raised that way. Who really knows. I'm sure there are people out there who think we're nutts for having 4 children on one E6/E7 salary... I've heard comments even here on the boards about how parents shouldn't have kids if they can't afford college for them or only one child per every 30K of salary or you should have at least so much savings or whatever else. I just try to remember that everyone has different standards for what they feel is a good or okay standard of living. I don't personally think eating ramen everynight is a good standard of living but do they seriously eat ramen every night? Maybe they just have tight periods between paydays or have hit some rough spots with emergencies and had to find areas to pinch pennies.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast