Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Military - monitoring your personal computer/phoneline

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Military - monitoring your personal computer/phoneline

Advertisements
    To prevent important information from leaking out.

I use to be very against this type of monitoring and intervention except for directly monitoring soldiers who were stationed/on duty. But lately I've seen a lot of this coming from wives and girlfriends, husband and boyfriends who don't think of it, really, and just jibber away and before you know it - one post can turn into a thread of revealing info.
    Or - several posts can turn into a book of personal info bit by bit. (I've done this without realizing it, actually)

If people keep letting things slip up (purpose or accidental) something tragic is going to happen and it's going to really make them tighten things up on everyone: close and careful monitoring of you and maybe even your entire family.

If something serious happens and it's made known that the information came from a spouse/family member/etc - and the military/gov't decides to monitor and control everyone I won't be bothered or surprised. I'll just sigh and say *told you so*

My personal view:
    The idea that someone else's loose tongue and quick fingers might get my husband hurt or killed pisses me off
    A soldier's life isn't more valuable than anyone's *feeeelings* that they *neeed* to express over the internet...If people have to discuss fine-tuned details keep it coded or face to face and make sure you look over your shoulder.
  2. Seabee Wife
    Seabee Wife
    I'm against monitoring of personal computers and phones. it's way too "big brother" for me. It also takes away presonal responsability. As wives, girlfriends, mothers, sisters, boyfriends, husbands, brothers, and sons, we need to be aware of what we say and call each other on OPSEC. We all need to be reminded that what we say and type can harm the ones we love. I won't even tell my parents when my DH leaves and they understand why. Someone's desire to know is not worth my loved one's safety. If I looked on a friends Myspace and saw anything against OPSEC I'd bring it to their attention. If you look at my myspace you'll see very little military related.
  3. mommytobe3421
    we just need to be careful what me say and type, i dont tell anyone over the phone about where hubby is and me and hubby dont talk about it either he just says ill tell u when i get home
  4. Senior Member
    i really dont have an oipinion on the whole monirtering thing but i do see a whole lot of gf's and wives who just really dont care or seem like they dont care (or it could be that the hubs dont inform them) of opsec. So if it is going to keep or men and wemon safe then i'll be all for it i guess.
  5. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Yeah - that was me! I didn't know about OPSEC, I had never been in a relationship that involved anything of *secret* nature so I realy didn't think about the possible consequences, at first.
    I never attended an FRG meeting - and I should have...So all this common-sense stuff just flew right by me and I never gave it a thought in the world until I went too far and someone else who just *happened* to give a damn wrote me a very long scenerio of what could have happened if my online info got into the wrong hands.
    Freaked me out!
  6. ahimsa
    ahimsa
    Well I guess they COULD monitor it, but I would think it was a complete breach of privacy. Contrary to what they want you to believe, the military doesn't actually own you. And even if they do, they do not own the wives/fiances. So if you do get caught breaking OPSEC what would they do to you? Throw you in the brig? Its not against the law.
    It's Halloween so.... you know, BOO!