Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A right to death

1. Seabee Wife
    Seabee Wife

A right to death

Advertisements
    In my family we have phylosophical discussions all the time. Here is one we recently had. Do you believe in a right to death? It seems everyone discusses a right to live but we hardly discuss if you have the right to death.

I feel we should have that right. Any sane, heathy, adult should be able to make the decision on if they would like to live or not. Many of us have spoken to our loved ones about the option of life support in the event of great injury or illness. We make this choice and have this disussion when we are heathy. However, many of us seem to think that suicide is wrong and that perhaps even death benefits should not be awarded if the person commits suicide. I feel we should have the right to end our own life. I feel death benefits should be awarded to everyone, including suicide victoms family members. BTW, I hate the term victom when it comes to suicide, I don't think it fits. I do believe that a person's mental status should be taken into account when it comes down to letting a person choose if they should live or die. I don't think mentally disabled people should be able to exercise this right. I believe, when you become ill you should be able to choose to die. Not have every medical option explored. I think Dr. Kavorkian was right in what he was doing.

So what do you think? How do you stand on the right to death?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i believe that someone has the right to take their own life but i do not think it is okay for someone to assist them--my opinion. yes i have terminally ill family that i've seen suffer and i still don't agree with assisted suicide
  3. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisonsdream View Post
    i believe that someone has the right to take their own life but i do not think it is okay for someone to assist them--my opinion. yes i have terminally ill family that i've seen suffer and i still don't agree with assisted suicide
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Yes I absolutely think people have a right to death. That whole Terri Shavio case scared the beejeebus out of me. It's in my will like 9 times that if I don't want to be kept alive in that situation. I think if someone is in pain they have the right to an assissted death as well. I'm sorry if you are dying of a terminal illness and in constant pain and it will never get better who the hell is someone to say nope I'm sorry my morals are offended suffer in silence please.
  5. Cookie Queen
    Cookie Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisonsdream View Post
    i believe that someone has the right to take their own life
    I agree only if they don't put others lives in jeopardy, ie: jumping in front of a moving vehicle, etc.
  6. Senior Member
    I personally do believe in an individual's right to die. I also believe in physician assisted suicide. Not in the sense that the doctor would just go around offing people, but in a way similar to what is done in OR, and Amsterdam, where a terminally or otherwise severely sick person is evaluated, the options are discussed, and then a medication, or a cocktail is dispensed as a prescription, that the patient then chooses when to take... i.e. with the doctor and family present, or after one last family outing, etc.

I also personally believe that we, in this case treat our pets better than we do our fellow humans when it gets close to the end of their lives, or they have a drastically compromised quality of life. It's a shame.
  7. Senior Member
    I agree with assisted medical suicide if all the paper work is in order and the request is made prior to getting really bad. My Poppy has dual citizenship in Holland where medical euthanization is legal and he will be going over there whenever life becomes too painful, the paperwork is already done. I would not want to die in pain, and if someone would give me the IV I would inject the stuff myself when I got to that point, but that's just not always possible. I think its gross to promote suicide by guns and pills which doesn't always work.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    I wholeheartedly support the right to die movement. Having watched many people close to me suffer through an excrutiating death has only solidified that belief for me. It just boggles my mind that we, as a society, can FORCE death on someone convicted of a crime and see that as acceptable but deny others the right to WILLINGLY end their life because that is wrong.
  9. Senior Member
    I think anyone who has seen someone suffer from a painful terminal sickness/disease with agree with you. I do. I have seen two Grandma's suffer awful pain. I wished for a moment I could take all their pain away Uh I am in tears thinking about it
    Finding more and more truth to the words written in red.-B&D

Goodness speaks in a whisper, evil shouts.
    Tibetan proverb

The greater love is a mother's; then comes a dog's; then a sweetheart's.
    Polish Proverb
  10. Banned
    Banned
    I just find it all so confusing. You can stipulate, via living will, that you do not want nutrients or hydration - essentially electing to starve or die of hydration (neither of which are pleasant) but you can not choose to have a doctor administer the drugs that would give you a peaceful and much more pleasant passing. I remember, all too well, sitting with my father a few weeks before his death and helping him to fill out his medical directive paperwork. His death was so much harder - on him - than it had to be.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast