Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Controversial "Pillow Angel"

  1. Senior Member
    USNIwife's Avatar
    USNIwife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,439
    #1

    Help Controversial "Pillow Angel"

    Advertisements
    Have you seen the story about "Ashley" the - "Pillow Angel" where she has serious medical problems and her parents have in what they say is the pursuit to help her, not them stunted her growth, removed her reproductive sytem, had her breast buds removed, etc.

    How do you feel about it?

    My Sweetheart


    Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  2. Senior Member
    leftover's Avatar
    leftover is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,701
    #2
    Institutionalized people used to be sterilized all the time back in the day...
  3. SPCrichey'sgirl
    Guest
    SPCrichey'sgirl's Avatar
    Guest
    #3
    I heard about that and I still dont understand how doing that is supposed to help her. I think its stupid..... I just think they just dont want to have to deal with her growing up and taking care of her when she is at that time
  4. c'est la vie
    PattersonGal's Avatar
    PattersonGal is offline
    c'est la vie
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,791
    #4
    Well, I might get slammed for this, but I kind of think it is for the better. I can't imagine the poor thing having to deal with periods, and mood swings, and tender breasts, and every other lovely thing that comes with being a woman (as opposed to a girl). And I think she would be easier to care for as a smaller, undeveloped girl.

    (I hope I'm thinking of the right case here...)
    If you love someone, let them go. If it was meant to be, then they will return to you.
  5. on the road again.....
    reynswife's Avatar
    reynswife is offline
    on the road again.....
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,318
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by PattersonGal View Post
    Well, I might get slammed for this, but I kind of think it is for the better. I can't imagine the poor thing having to deal with periods, and mood swings, and tender breasts, and every other lovely thing that comes with being a woman (as opposed to a girl). And I think she would be easier to care for as a smaller, undeveloped girl.

    (I hope I'm thinking of the right case here...)
    I agree with what you say and sometimes I feel the same way. However I do also see the other side of the argument and sometimes I feel it's not fair the daughter.

    A very hard spot to be in for the parents.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/reyn2bee/blinkies/nj_devils.gif[/URL]
  6. Senior Member
    Aundi's Avatar
    Aundi is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,286
    #6
    I have heard of this and I agree with the parents. I can't even pretend to know how hard those decisions would be but the reasons behind why certain things are done, are clear to me.
  7. Senior Member
    USNIwife's Avatar
    USNIwife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,439
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by leftover View Post
    Institutionalized people used to be sterilized all the time back in the day...
    Benevolence and good intentions have been the biggest enemies of disabled people over the course of history. Since many things that were done under a theory of benevolence were also later seen as wrongheaded violations of human rights. I'm thinking that personal and physical autonomy of people with disabilites is sacrosanct.

    Very controversial this specific case is....b/c Ashley who is 9 years old now. When she was born. She was born with a rare condition: static encephalopathy. Her parents approved the medical treatment.

    Subject of discussions are always - did they do it truly for her well being. Or for their ease of convenience/etc/etc

    My Sweetheart


    Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  8. Senior Member
    USNIwife's Avatar
    USNIwife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,439
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by PattersonGal View Post
    Well, I might get slammed for this, but I kind of think it is for the better. I can't imagine the poor thing having to deal with periods, and mood swings, and tender breasts, and every other lovely thing that comes with being a woman (as opposed to a girl). And I think she would be easier to care for as a smaller, undeveloped girl.

    (I hope I'm thinking of the right case here...)
    yep, you are

    My Sweetheart


    Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  9. Senior Member
    Aundi's Avatar
    Aundi is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,286
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by USNIwife View Post
    Benevolence and good intentions have been the biggest enemies of disabled people over the course of history. Since many things that were done under a theory of benevolence were also later seen as wrongheaded violations of human rights. I'm thinking that personal and physical autonomy of people with disabilites is sacrosanct.

    Very controversial this specific case is....b/c Ashley who is 9 years old now. When she was born. She was born with a rare condition: static encephalopathy. Her parents approved the medical treatment.

    Subject of discussions are always - did they do it truly for her well being. Or for their ease of convenience/etc/etc
    I think it's a little of both but I don't feel the parents are copping out or taking the easy way out either.
  10. Senior Member
    rcwant2be's Avatar
    rcwant2be is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    13,517
    Blog Entries
    4

    #10
    we already had a thread about it
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •