Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Controversial "Pillow Angel"

1. Senior Member

Help Controversial "Pillow Angel"

Advertisements
    Have you seen the story about "Ashley" the - "Pillow Angel" where she has serious medical problems and her parents have in what they say is the pursuit to help her, not them stunted her growth, removed her reproductive sytem, had her breast buds removed, etc.

How do you feel about it?

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  2. Senior Member
    Institutionalized people used to be sterilized all the time back in the day...
  3. SPCrichey'sgirl
    I heard about that and I still dont understand how doing that is supposed to help her. I think its stupid..... I just think they just dont want to have to deal with her growing up and taking care of her when she is at that time
  4. c'est la vie
    c'est la vie
    Well, I might get slammed for this, but I kind of think it is for the better. I can't imagine the poor thing having to deal with periods, and mood swings, and tender breasts, and every other lovely thing that comes with being a woman (as opposed to a girl). And I think she would be easier to care for as a smaller, undeveloped girl.

(I hope I'm thinking of the right case here...)
    If you love someone, let them go. If it was meant to be, then they will return to you.
  5. on the road again.....
    on the road again.....
    Quote Originally Posted by PattersonGal View Post
    Well, I might get slammed for this, but I kind of think it is for the better. I can't imagine the poor thing having to deal with periods, and mood swings, and tender breasts, and every other lovely thing that comes with being a woman (as opposed to a girl). And I think she would be easier to care for as a smaller, undeveloped girl.

I agree with what you say and sometimes I feel the same way. However I do also see the other side of the argument and sometimes I feel it's not fair the daughter.

A very hard spot to be in for the parents.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/reyn2bee/blinkies/nj_devils.gif[/URL]
  6. Senior Member
    I have heard of this and I agree with the parents. I can't even pretend to know how hard those decisions would be but the reasons behind why certain things are done, are clear to me.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leftover View Post
    Institutionalized people used to be sterilized all the time back in the day...
    Benevolence and good intentions have been the biggest enemies of disabled people over the course of history. Since many things that were done under a theory of benevolence were also later seen as wrongheaded violations of human rights. I'm thinking that personal and physical autonomy of people with disabilites is sacrosanct.

Very controversial this specific case is....b/c Ashley who is 9 years old now. When she was born. She was born with a rare condition: static encephalopathy. Her parents approved the medical treatment.

Subject of discussions are always - did they do it truly for her well being. Or for their ease of convenience/etc/etc

My Sweetheart

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PattersonGal View Post

yep, you are

My Sweetheart

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USNIwife View Post
    Benevolence and good intentions have been the biggest enemies of disabled people over the course of history. Since many things that were done under a theory of benevolence were also later seen as wrongheaded violations of human rights. I'm thinking that personal and physical autonomy of people with disabilites is sacrosanct.

Very controversial this specific case is....b/c Ashley who is 9 years old now. When she was born. She was born with a rare condition: static encephalopathy. Her parents approved the medical treatment.

Subject of discussions are always - did they do it truly for her well being. Or for their ease of convenience/etc/etc
    I think it's a little of both but I don't feel the parents are copping out or taking the easy way out either.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

we already had a thread about it
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast