Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Statutory rape

1. Banned
    Banned

Statutory rape

Advertisements
    Let me give you the back story:

My friends husband is on the Sexual Offenders Regisertry. He is considered a level 2.

His crime? When he as 16, living in Massachusettes, he had sex with his 14 year old girlfriend.

Now, that is no longer illegal in most states anymore. However he is still on the registery. His wife and him want to move to New York because that's where most of her family is. However they are afraid to. In Massachusettes you don't go on the sexual offenders list unless you are a level 3 offender or above. But here in new york, he will be on the list. In New York it lists the home and work address as well as the nature of his crime. He will be listed as a sexual abuser of a child. So naturally, they are afraid to move here.

what does everyone think of the sexual offenders registery and how it should be changed, what parts are necessary? Any thoughts or concerns?
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    That sucks that he's "grandfathered" in. Is there anyway he can appeal it?! If I were him, I'd continue living in a state where I wasn't required to register.
  3. Wah Its called life idiot
    Wah Its called life idiot
    I LOVE the offender's list. When it comes to situations with 2 teens I think the teen with the charge should be allowed to go before a board upon turning 18 and plead his case to have the decision reversed.

4. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    His "minor" status at the time of the offense should have kept him off the registry. If he can appeal it, he should - especially since the laws have since changed.
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  5. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    I agree. I'd continue to live in a state where I could stay under the radar.

I'm really glad there are tough sex crime laws in some cases, but there are a lot of cases where it just goes too far. Like this situation for instance. he was probably a sophomore or junior in high school with a freshman girlfriend and there wasn't even that big a gap in their ages. It's situations like his that really piss me off that they're not viewed more on case by case with some leeway in the law for cases like these. It's ridiculous he was convicted and now has to register for the rest of his life, as long as it was consensual, which I'm assuming it was.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy_Gurl View Post
    I LOVE the offender's list. When it comes to situations with 2 teens I think the teen with the charge should be allowed to go before a board upon turning 18 and plead his case to have the decision reversed.
    There was a case in WI back in the late 90's where a 18 year old man was convicted of statutory rape of his 17 year old girlfriend who got pregnant. The girl and her family refused to cooperate with police or prosecutors and the DA was on tv (I saw the broadcast) and said she was going to make an example of him He has to register as a child sex offender for the rest of his life. Cases like that are bullshit IMO.
  7. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    How long ago did this occur?!?
  8. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    There was a case in WI back in the late 90's where a 18 year old man was convicted of statutory rape of his 17 year old girlfriend who got pregnant. The girl and her family refused to cooperate with police or prosecutors and the DA was on tv (I saw the broadcast) and said she was going to make an example of him He has to register as a child sex offender for the rest of his life. Cases like that are bullshit IMO.
    I agree. That's ridiculous!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    That sucks that he's "grandfathered" in. Is there anyway he can appeal it?! If I were him, I'd continue living in a state where I wasn't required to register.
    That is so stupid I think. Both under the age whats it to these people if they had sex?!!?! Makes me so mad that they are doing this shit now. I mean seriously!

I watched on 20/20 the other night that this girl and her boyfriend.... he was 19 she was 15 had consintual sex and she was the one that asked for it more than he did. Her mom got mad at the boyfriend and her daughter because they were fighting one day and went down and told the police (After she okayed it with her daughter) the police got involved and now he is considered a sex offender... well they wernt allowed to see each other and when she turned 18... they got married.... been married for like 7years and have like 4 kids together... and yet he still is considedered a sex offender and has to be listed every year. to me that is wrong! The girl straight up said... No I asked him for the sex not the other way around!
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Although I am totally against two teens having sex, I do think there needs to be something better to distinguish an "offense" like this from true sexual predators, by the judge or family court. I would stay in the state where he doesn't have to register at that level. Because people don't know, he could face neighbors who don't want him there, difficulty in employment for both of them, etc.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast