Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Population

1. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN

Population

Advertisements
    I just finished a semester of Ecology, so you guys will prob be getting loads of Ecology related questions from me.

Do you feel that you have a responsibility regarding population levels?

Our world population is currently around 6.7 billion.
    In 1927 there were 2 billion.
    By 1974, less than 50 years, there were another 2 billion to total 4 billion.
    By 1999, 25 more years, there were 6 billion people on our planet.
    The population is expected to be around 9 billion by 2050.

Thoughts?

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

2. martiemullet
    well i'm not going to go out and have 10 kids, if that's what you mean... i don't feel responsible for the population growth, personally. that's what happens when you don't have natural selection. the population booms, and eventually it'll be cut back down somehow.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    i agree with the above poster. but alot of things account for those numbers. no bc in some countries or belief in it, our medical people longating people lives with medicines and other things. i mean gone are the days were you had 10 kids be/c you needed them to work your acres of land and the life expectancy was like 55-65. (I was a sociology major and i have no life now)
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i agree with the first 2 posters. i would love a big family (think like 6 or 8 kids) but financially we can't do it so 2 it is. also medicine extends our lives and also keeps infants/children alive that would otherwise die
  5. Loving My Navy Veteran
    Loving My Navy Veteran
    I think the world in general is grossly overpopulated, and that's about all I will say on the subject. I also studied this issue in college.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    we can't exactly say you can't have more than 1 child or whatever, china does but worldwide that isn't reasonable
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisonsdream View Post
    i agree with the first 2 posters. medicine extends our lives and also keeps infants/children alive that would otherwise die

Sorry for being nosy, but what degree are you pursuing?
  8. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

The world is overpopulated because natural selection is being slowed down drastically my medical advances.

That will not make me feel guilty about having 4 or 5 children though.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post

Sorry for being nosy, but what degree are you pursuing?
    psychology
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Although the numbers sound high to the average person, do you know how much of our world is not populated? Do you know how much untouched land there is on this planet? I don't have exact numbers but I don't think we're running out of room now or anytime in the near future. Most of us on here live in fairly densely populated areas b/c that's where the military has taken us and people who are less technologically advanced in less populated areas probably don't have access to net or this site but I don't think the world is overpopulated at all. There is plenty of room and it's within our control to make sure our natural resources do not disappear.

I might dig later but you'd be surprised how the population compares to how much wide open untouched space we have on this planet.

I don't feel the least bit guilty about having a large family and contributing to populating the earth. It's not the number of people on the earth that will kill our planet. I truly believe human nature (war, carelessness, decline of morals and society, etc) will end the world long before overpopluation will.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast