Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does debating anything ever change your views?

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Does debating anything ever change your views?

Advertisements
    I do, frequently.
    I participate in a lot of debates because I've found that I often beging anything with a specific view - rather snubby, perhaps, and then after discussing it and thinking about it I, often, become more open or completely change my view because of the unbarred input that others put into it.

Anyone else actually find debates benificial in this way?

I'm only putting this in the 'debates' section because it's about debates - I'm not actually trying to start a debate with this post
  2. I'm Only A Little Crazy
    I'm Only A Little Crazy
    Ya at times. I will hear things (or if it's here on SOS see them lol) and it will make me think. There are times that enough good information has been presented that I will change my mind or at least look at it differently.
  3. Senior Member
    yes i do! i mean i try not to debate but it always turns into one..
    i like to learn alot im still young and i know i dont know as much as i will know in 10 years so i always ask lots of questions and sometimes it turns into debates and then im like OOOH.. well OK i believe that now! HA HA.. especially when im talking to my parents or my husband.. ha ha..
  4. Banned
    Banned
    yes it has some. not on big big issues like abortion or the death penalty but i don't think that strippers are of Satan anymore (that view was changed a few years ago)
  5. Senior Member
    It tends to be that when I'm not emotionally involved in the topic of the debate that I learn a lot and am able to consider both sides more fully. It's tough when I do have that emotional involvement because I've been so dead set on my standpoint because of experiences. But if the person debating comes across in an intelligent manner and presents facts and can speak to me without any condescending tone I can open up more and try to see a different side of things. So far, I have never been part of nor seen a debate that has changed my mind about the topics I do have that involvement with. But I absolutely do find them beneficial. Even if I tend to disagree, I like to see other people's opinions and the thoughts behind them.
  6. martiemullet
    it doesn't usually change my views, but it can give me insight into the "other side"
    once in awhile i'll hear something i never thought of, and it will help to reshape my opinion, especially when debating with db.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    sometimes, but i usually dont get involved with a debate unless i feel i have enough knowledge on BOTH sides to adequately argue my opinion.
    because... otherwise, if i dont know much about either side.. my mind DOES get changed.. purely because i was ignorant.
    i try not to have an opinion until i know both sides... which then... its hard to change my mind after that
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    WHATEVER AUNT SPONGE!! YOU'LL NEVER CHANGE!

Sorry, had to bring the debate. I'm a dork.

Yeah, I change my mind a lot. I also find there's a lot I don't know, lol
  9. Banned
    Banned
    I try to always be open to listen to other peoples opinions on everything. I have deffinetly come to a different perspective on issues due to debates. No matter how strong you stand on an issue, you may have never a heard a certain way of explaining a point of view. Sometimes it may change your mind, sometimes you may just learn to understand the other side, sometimes someone elses ignorance will just encourage your beliefs!! Regardless, i try to take in everyones points and be open to new ideas.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by martiemullet View Post
    it doesn't usually change my views, but it can give me insight into the "other side"
    once in awhile i'll hear something i never thought of, and it will help to reshape my opinion, especially when debating with db.
    There are few occasions that I do change my mind fully but I will allow myself to see a new insite or view and take that into consideration.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast