Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ReVamping Section 8...

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

ReVamping Section 8...

Advertisements
    My husband and I had a talk about this last night and we actually agreed...

I think that the system needs to be revamped...I do not think its fair that a good amount of these people have cell phones, internet, cable, but is letting the govt pay for their rent.

We said that maybe they should give them an x amount of time to get themselves jobs and out of the housing.

You know I guess I feel this way because there are people like my dad who is a disabled vet with degenerating discs, gets up and goes to work every day and has been working since 16...But there are people who dont...
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  2. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    i agree. i've seen a couple of people in section 8 with brand new carts, even a brand new RV.... and yet the govt pays for their housing. granted, i don't know if they were given the "luxuries" by a generous family member or if they won it or something.... but still.... if you can afford 2 luxury cars, a cell phone, etc etc... the gov't need not be paying for your housing.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I am so glad we arent the only one who feels that way.
  4. Finding my own path!
    Finding my own path!
    Blog Entries
    I'm with both of you. I think if you can wear designer clothes and drive expensive cars then you need to be figuring out how to pay for your own apartment and not taking up space that families on the streets with NOTHING could be using to get back on their feet.

Every Ending is Another Beginning!!!!
    "For I know the plans I have for you", Says the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11
    The cup of shite runneth over...
  5. Banned
    Banned
    As someone who works with this program (not as client - rather it is a program our agency offers/administrates), this thread definitely has my curiousity. For those who want to see change - what, specifically, would you like to see changed?
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I think that the abled ones should get jobs...And then pay rent as they work, after say 2 yrs they should be taken off the program.

I just dont think its fair that people go out and work their butts off and some sit at home and play on the internet and talk on their cells.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I would want to see time limits for the use of section 8 with waivers for those who are on a limited income like the disabled and elderly.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    BTW, I ask out of honest curiousity - not snarkiness - because, believe it or not, the system is often just as frustrating (or more so) for those working within it as it is for those of you posting about wanting a change.
  9. Im crazy, the good kind
    Im crazy, the good kind
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnysGirl View Post
    I'm with both of you. I think if you can wear designer clothes and drive expensive cars then you need to be figuring out how to pay for your own apartment and not taking up space that families on the streets with NOTHING could be using to get back on their feet.
    I so agree with this...I see children that live in section 8 that go to my school, they all have the nicest clothes, one of them said his father drives a benz...and they all get free lunches...i think it is such a valuable resource for people who REALLY do not have anything!!
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    While I agree maybe change is needed but why can they not have the interwebz just because they are poor? There children still need it for school, (all public schools seem to require the use of internet these days for homework) Not to mention if the parent/s are also attending college. Many people have cell phones but no land line as well.

I don't agree with punishing the many because of the few that take advantage.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast