Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accepting donations and gov. assitance for disabled children

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Accepting donations and gov. assitance for disabled children

Advertisements
    Two of my children are autistic which, actually, qualifies us for assitance.
    Which I don't want and I am not willing to take for personal reasons. Mainly, though, because they have aspergers (a mild form of autism) and are more like normal children than most autistic children. If I took money because of this I would feel like I was leeching the system.
    For this same reason I, also, will never take any type of 'repiration' (sp?) money from the government because my ex (their bio father) happened to be a native american.

But what about others - how do you feel about people who accept assistance because of their children's disabilities or cultural heritage? (I know - two very different things, there)
  2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I think if they actually qualify for that kind of thing without lying about it, then if they want to take advantage of it it isn't my place to judge.
  3. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries
    If someone qualifies, why not. The money is set aside FOR the set purpose....

My little Loves!
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    If you QUALIFY, then they have every reason to accept it. I know when Gabe was going through treatment, we got help for gas money and hospitals stays.
  5. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    I think if it is availible, you should use it. I know that if I qualify for WIC I will be using it.
  6. I love dress whites!!
    I love dress whites!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Sarah*J~*~ View Post
    I think if it is availible, you should use it. I know that if I qualify for WIC I will be using it.
  7. ash
    i love the red sox
    i love the red sox
    Blog Entries
    I see nothing wrong with using it.

My parents do not take gov't assistance to the extent that they could for my sister, but it is good that the county will help pay for her to do activities, go to camps, etc.
    this is like a bad movie, and i'd give it a 5 on my netflix
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    I think if they actually qualify for that kind of thing without lying about it, then if they want to take advantage of it it isn't my place to judge.
    I agree if Jacob qualifies for something then I am going to get it for him so that he can have EVERY opportunity available to him. I do the same for myself I qualify for a pension from the VA and the vocrehab program. I don't feel it is milking the government to use programs I am entitled to.
    Last edited by Sophie♥Hatter; 03-11-2008 at 03:29 PM.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    My little brother has Cerebral Palsy and we always got assistance, but it always went to him, and things he needed, or things he wanted. Why would that ever be a problem?

Oh, and the checks went to my brother, and if he had too much money in his bank account, the checks would stop coming. It was not meant to save, it was meant to help with whatever was going on then.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    I think with ANY gov't assistance, if you don't need it you should NOT take it. Just like we qualify for WIC, but I'm not in need of it so I leave the funds there for people who need it. I consider it greed to take help you don't need. Kudos to you for not holding out your hand when you don't need it!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast