Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you want to know?

1. Senior Member

Would you want to know?

Advertisements
    The Human Genome Project had sequenced Human DNA and it is now possible to tell if you are slated for diseases in your future such as cancer or Alzheimer's. So, if you could have your DNA sequenced and find out what's in store for you, would you want to know?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed

yes I would, but only if it's something curable.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    No not really.
  4. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Nope that is just one of life's mysteries.
    Though, it would be interesting to see if you knew, if you would do the things they recommend that you do for whatever ailment, if you would not get sick.

5. Senior Member
    To an extent...Like if it showed I could possibly get cancer...I would take all possible measurments to prevent it...But I'm still riding the fence on knowing around WHEN I would get it (not sure if the test could show that...doubtful) But part of me thinks I would want to know just so I could make all the preparations etc. But then again, I think I would just be depressed knowing I didn't have that much longer...I don't know....it's a real thought provoker...
    LOVIN' MY LIFE AS A MOM AND A WIFE!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bryants911 View Post
    To an extent...Like if it showed I could possibly get cancer...I would take all possible measurments to prevent it...But I'm still riding the fence on knowing around WHEN I would get it (not sure if the test could show that...doubtful) But part of me thinks I would want to know just so I could make all the preparations etc. But then again, I think I would just be depressed knowing I didn't have that much longer...I don't know....it's a real thought provoker...
    I don't think it could say exactly when you would get it, just that you carry that gene and it's a big possibility that you will get it. Sometime that gene can become dormant, and other times dormant genes can become active. Kind of like skipping generations in families.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silent_earth View Post
    I don't think it could say exactly when you would get it, just that you carry that gene and it's a big possibility that you will get it. Sometime that gene can become dormant, and other times dormant genes can become active. Kind of like skipping generations in families.
    if it just shows that you are likely to get it...then i think, yes, i would like to know. i think a lot of diseases/illness are more cureable/treatable than we realize. i would take every step to prevent it.
  8. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    We already know if it's a high possibility for us to get diseases that are most likely hereditary.
    If it was a disease that was curable or that I could prevent yes I think I would like to know.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yea, I would want to know. Like in my son's case, he would have been monitored and it wouldnt have been a stage IV like it was. It would have been caught sooner, which means less chemo and no radiation.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I don't know. Yes and no. Yes if there was a way to prevent it...no because that is part of life.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast