Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts...

1. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries

Your thoughts...

Advertisements
    In my critical thinking class we had to talk about how we felt about the Terri Schiavo case. What are you thoughts on how she was handled. Should her husband have been able to make the decision he made?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/31/schiavo/index.html

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=43463
  2. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries

my thoughts

In my opinion, what happened with Terri Schiavo’s case was unnecessary. Without actual documentation of her actual wishes to not be kept alive artificially, I think that her parents should have been granted guardianship of their daughter since her husband was no longer willing to continue with her medical treatment. To me, starving a person is cruel and unusual punishment but I would think being alive and unable to communicate effectively with anyone would be cruel and unusual as well.

I can honestly say that I understand her husband’s decision. He was told after over 10 years that his wives condition was not going to improve. If she had indeed said she did not want to live artificially then I think he made the right decision, since asking her was not an option. However, the starvation does not seem right. I think he should have given guardianship to her parents since they were willing to provide care for Terri.
  3. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, I'm not sure. He sounds suspicious to me.
    The issue that is the core of it though, is if he had the right to take her off life support, and I believe he did. He was her legal guardian, and I believe that is (at least in other cases) all that matters.

4. Banned
    Banned
    DF and I have both verbally said to each other that we would not want to be on life support for longer than about a month. We both believe if it's our time, it's our time. I would HATE if either of our parents doubted our decision, and didn't trust one of us to do what is best and what is wanted by the other.

He was her husband and that makes him her next of kin and guardian. It is a very sad situation, but I feel the parents were grasping hard at something that would have been a terrible existence for her just to keep their daughter "with them"
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I feel the way she went was cruel and inhumane she could breathe on her own. They removed her FEEDING tube so she died a slow death.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Sarah*J~*~ View Post
    In my opinion, what happened with Terri Schiavoís case was unnecessary. Without actual documentation of her actual wishes to not be kept alive artificially, I think that her parents should have been granted guardianship of their daughter since her husband was no longer willing to continue with her medical treatment. To me, starving a person is cruel and unusual punishment but I would think being alive and unable to communicate effectively with anyone would be cruel and unusual as well.

I can honestly say that I understand her husbandís decision. He was told after over 10 years that his wives condition was not going to improve. If she had indeed said she did not want to live artificially then I think he made the right decision, since asking her was not an option. However, the starvation does not seem right. I think he should have given guardianship to her parents since they were willing to provide care for Terri.

Wasn't he wanting to get remarried or something? If he didn't want anything to do with her anymore...let her parents have guardianship....that was my thoughts !
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I feel very strongly about the rights of someone to die with dignity. Less than 3 months after Terry Schiavo died I was in the position that I had to make the difficult decision to remove life support from my late husband. It was a difficult decision but I knew what his wishes were. I don't believe starving someone to death is right. Terry Schiavo's case weighed heavy on my mind when the time came to consider a feeding tube for my late husband. We did not agree to a feeding tube. A feeding tube would not have made a difference as to whether he would have lived. Due to Terry Schiavo's case there are checks and balances in place in most hospitals/states to avoid having a life cut short when there is hope of some sort of recovery. I am sure that the decision Terry Schiavo's husband made was difficult and there was a great deal of thought behind his decision. My suggestion to everyone is to have a living will because it will make any decisions your family has to make a lot less difficult.

Visit my Etsy Shop, Creative Dragonfly, for handmade baby and children's items.
  8. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QMC's Wife View Post
    I feel very strongly about the rights of someone to die with dignity. Less than 3 months after Terry Schiavo died I was in the position that I had to make the difficult decision to remove life support from my late husband. It was a difficult decision but I knew what his wishes were. I don't believe starving someone to death is right. Terry Schiavo's case weighed heavy on my mind when the time came to consider a feeding tube for my late husband. We did not agree to a feeding tube. A feeding tube would not have made a difference as to whether he would have lived. Due to Terry Schiavo's case there are checks and balances in place in most hospitals/states to avoid having a life cut short when there is hope of some sort of recovery. I am sure that the decision Terry Schiavo's husband made was difficult and there was a great deal of thought behind his decision. My suggestion to everyone is to have a living will because it will make any decisions your family has to make a lot less difficult.
    I am sorry for your loss and for having to make a difficult decision like that.
  9. Senior Member
    I believe the whole thing was cruel and unjust. If he did not want to be connected to her, than he should have turned things over to people who did want to be with her. IMO, the difference comes when a patient can breath on their own. I believe sometimes in life we have our crosses or burdens to bear as loving family members and it is not always "convenient" for us. If she had been my daughter, sister, mother, friend, I would have been LIVID. But that is just me.

By they way, I am not meaning this TOWARD anyone. This is just my opinion on this case. Thought I should add that!

Thank you, BrentsCrystal! You are amazing!
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherNichole View Post
    Wasn't he wanting to get remarried or something? If he didn't want anything to do with her anymore...let her parents have guardianship....that was my thoughts !
    IIR he had a girlfriend/fiancee and a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by FC wifey View Post
    I believe the whole thing was cruel and unjust. If he did not want to be connected to her, than he should have turned things over to people who did want to be with her. IMO, the difference comes when a patient can breath on their own. I believe sometimes in life we have our crosses or burdens to bear as loving family members and it is not always "convenient" for us. If she had been my daughter, sister, mother, friend, I would have been LIVID. But that is just me.
    100% agree
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast