Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: alternative music

1. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta

Question alternative music

Advertisements
    is this really a debate? i'll let you gals decide.

do you think alternative music (i.e. grunge, punk, emo, etc.) will earn it's way into the classics? are there any alternative bands you consider having earned legendary status?

If alternative music is considered classic or legendary, does that take away from it's unconventional appeal?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Wasnt elvis alternative?

.... or at least.... a HUGE controversy... and i think we all know where HE stands now
  3. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    I think it depends on your view of "legendary". I think some grunge bands are already there. Nirvana and STP immediately come to mind as alternative "legends". Of course that's just my opionion, but they were among the first that I recall that made the grunge scene big. We can't forget Sublime...what would Lou Dog say?

I don't think it takes away from unconventional appeal to be recognized as any given genre's legends.
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  4. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    I think it depends on your view of "legendary". I think some grunge bands are already there. Nirvana and STP immediately come to mind as alternative "legends". Of course that's just my opionion, but they were among the first that I recall that made the grunge scene big. We can't forget Sublime...what would Lou Dog say?

I don't think it takes away from unconventional appeal to be recognized as any given genre's legends.

That was exactly what I was going to say Nirvana is still one of my all time favorite bands
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed

I agree! And add in Pearl Jam too! Many current musicians, whether alternative or not, utilize bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam as influences.
  6. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    i would agree with you whole heartedly, i was just wondering if i was the only one with this viewpoint. bands i consider legendary include nirvana, STP, and smashing pumpkins. honestly, i love sublime, but i dont consider them legendary. any others?
  7. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    oh yes yes pearl jam too.
  8. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Rileysmom View Post
    I agree! And add in Pearl Jam too! Many current musicians, whether alternative or not, utilize bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam as influences.
    Pearl Jam too I'd venture to say Live.. but I know they werent quite as big as the others.
  9. martiemullet

ditto that.

bands like nirvana and pearl jam have pretty much already reached that. and what about U2, would that be considered "alternative"?

all music has its place in history. even the spice girls.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Ooooh yes, Smashing Pumpkins is another good one. I personally think that Sublime is legendary... NIN isn't really legendary, but is a great influence and has such a distinct sound. A lot of other bands have worked with them too... Rage Against the Machine had a very powerful impact with music and politics. They are back together and concerts sold out instantly!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast