Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supporting stricter gun control laws and bans

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Supporting stricter gun control laws and bans

Advertisements
    Eventhough I'm a former rifle-owner and 'right' advocate: a lot of tragic events that have happened lately have made me change my mind 100% when it comes to gun control and weapon bans.

If having this priveledge (the right to buy and own firearms) is abused - like all other priveledges - it should be limited, even more strictly regulated, or even taken away.
    Just like cigarettes, alcohol, drugs (illegal and prscription), your driver's license and so on and so forth.

I've heard quite enough from people about why they should be allowed to protect theirselves and so on with firearms - this isn't the Wild West, there are other non-firearm alternatives for personal protection that don't enable mass killings and masacres.

*edit*
    Ok - I think I left this too vague so I'll define what I feel should be further regulated/enforced.
    (I tend to compare weapon ownership to automobile ownership - a lot of people draw lines between the two)

I feel that the sale of bullets should be regulated or at least ID'd on checkout (18 and over or proof of licensed weapon ownership) - it's not at all in my state (Arkansas) which means: if you have money you can buy, no questions asked.

I feel that you should be required to purchase a license before you buy - just like an automobile. You have to prove you can drive it before they let you take it for a test spin. I also firmly believe that if you want to own a weapon you have to pass tests or courses proving that you know how to safely use and maintain it.

I believe that - just like a vehicle - you should have to pay for insurance in order to legally operate it.

Ownership should be taxed each year - weapons should be inspected (as most states require of vehicles), appraised and taxed accordingly.

You should be required to pay in order to renew your weapon's license each year and every 10 years or so you should be required to re-test as you did to first get your license.

And I do feel that certain types of weapons or accessories should be strictly regulated as well or completely banned.

I also feel that the sale of weapons and weapon accessories should be completely banned from the internet - but something like that would be almost impossible to enforce.

And there's more I could add that are related to law enforcement issues and so on beyond the purchase and ownership bit - but I'll avoid that for right now.

Sure - people who really want them will always get them but the means to get them should be far more limited and regulated than it is, now.
    Last edited by Aunt Sponge; 03-04-2008 at 03:33 PM.
  2. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    This is where I wholeheartedly agree with Democrats. I am ALL for strict gun laws.

3. allahu alam
    allahu alam
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Sponge View Post
    If having this priveledge (the right to buy and own firearms) is abused - like all other priveledges - it should be limited, even more strictly regulated, or even taken away.
    Just like cigarettes, alcohol, drugs (illegal and prscription), your driver's license and so on and so forth.
    It IS limited. There's NO WAY to "take away" guns. During prohibition, alcohol abuse and consumption still ran rampant. People still smoke pot. People still drive drunk. In fact, there are more deaths due to substance abuse OR (NOT and, OR) impaired driving(alcohol, namely) than from the "result" of guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Sponge View Post
    I've heard quite enough from people about why they should be allowed to protect theirselves and so on with firearms - this isn't the Wild West, there are other non-firearm alternatives for personal protection that don't enable mass killings and masacres.
    You've heard quite enough? LOL. So... then why is this in debates? So everyone who is pro-gun control can agree and nobody is allowed to give their opposing points?

4. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetheartjess View Post
    quite enough . . . LOL.?
    LOL
    Quite enough as in: I've finally come to my decision even considering all that people (including myself at one time) have had to say and input.
    I put this in the debates because I know people just love to debate this topic.
  5. allahu alam
    allahu alam
    Oh. Well as an NRA life member and by reading my post, I'm betting you can guess where I stand.

6. Senior Member
    I am for legal gun ownership, and education for those that choose to own.

I think gun owners should be willing to take gun safety classes, to obtain a license to own a weapon. I don't like the idea of just anyone being able to go out and buy a rifle. In NC, all you have to do is show ID, and you can take your gun home that day(as long as it's not a pistol), and even for that, all you have to go is get a pistol permit, and no safety classes are required. I think that someone should definitely have the knowledge to handle a weapon before be able to just up and buy one. But, I do not think that a law abiding citizen's right to own should be taken away, because of the acts of unlawful citizens. My husband is a competition shooter, and I enjoy shooting for sport. We both have the knowledge and follow the strictest safety guidelines for our weapons.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jen1982 View Post
    I am for legal gun ownership, and education for those that choose to own.

I think gun owners should be willing to take gun safety classes, to obtain a license to own a weapon. I don't like the idea of just anyone being able to go out and buy a rifle. In NC, all you have to do is show ID, and you can take your gun home that day(as long as it's not a pistol), and even for that, all you have to go is get a pistol permit, and no safety classes are required. I think that someone should definitely have the knowledge to handle a weapon before be able to just up and buy one. But, I do not think that a law abiding citizen's right to own should be taken away, because of the acts of unlawful citizens. My husband is a competition shooter, and I enjoy shooting for sport. We both have the knowledge and follow the strictest safety guidelines for our weapons.
    !!
  8. Senior Member
    I I think this is a slippery slope kind of thing no matter what. I agree with you that at times certain rights and privileges are abused, however, I am also of the belief that the actions of a few should not ruin it for the whole.

I am all for gun ownership, and education. I am a rifle owner myself, who spends a substantial amount of time in a rural area. I am also the SO of a Marine... and we plan to teach our children about guns, to shoot, and all degrees of skill and safety in between.

I don't think it needs to be limited any more, most people we wouldn't want to have a gun, are not allowed to have them anyway, as it's a most of the time felony offense to be in possession of a firearm as a convicted felon, out on parole. So, they break the law, violate parole and go back to the clink.

I do think that gun store owners and weapons distributors need better and more uniform training. When I got my gun here in FL, it was so easy I could have done it with my eyes closed, and no one asked me any major questions about my past. I passed the background check and went to pick up my gun.

We've had a lot of people (in these shootings picked up by the media) who seem as though they should not be allowed access to a gun due to mental history and disorder. Perhaps those kinds of things should come into the decision making process... because I can almost promise that "those people" could have passed the background check... but still didn't need a gun... obviously.

I think states, or more states should have mandatory safety and instruction classes, but I also think you should be able to waive that requirement if you can SHOW that you have the knowledge and foresight to be able to handle a weapon properly.
  9. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    Screw stricter gun laws, make buying bullets more difficult..

I agree with Chris Rock on this!!
  10. Loving My Navy Veteran
    Loving My Navy Veteran
    In Montana people still carry guns on racks in the back of their trucks. You can buy a rifle just buying showing ID, but you do have to wait 3 days till you can buy a pistol/small firearm.

We own a few guns, and plan on getting more. So, I feel pretty lenient about my thinking on gun control. I do consider myself a Democrat, but stricter gun control is not something that I necessarily agree with them on.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast