10 11.36%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think about this?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

What do you think about this?

Advertisements
    I have heard people say
    "he /she knew what they were getting into when they signed the dotted line,"
    Basically individuals joining the military knew that they could go to war, so basically they chose their lifestyle.

Do agree with this?
  2. Always n Forever
    Always n Forever
    We must be the only ones on this morning

I think you do know what your getting into! If you watch tv/ listen to the radio/ read a paper..you KNOW what the state of the world is in. It doesn't take much sense to know that joining the military is going to be signing yourself up to fight. No matter WHAT branch you join!
  3. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy View Post
    We must be the only ones on this morning

I think you do know what your getting into! If you watch tv/ listen to the radio/ read a paper..you KNOW what the state of the world is in. It doesn't take much sense to know that joining the military is going to be signing yourself up to fight. No matter WHAT branch you join!
    I feel they knew what they were getting into. It's kinda a no brainer IMO. Anyone who has joined must have known that there was a risk of dying ot getting hurt while serving our country. It kinda ticks me off when parents or spouses pitch a fit if someone close to them dies in a war. It is sad and I feel bad for each and everyone of them but if it's a parent my view is you child knew what they was doing when they joined and he did not need you to sign a permission slip to do it. A spouse should have known what they were getting in to before they said I do. again JMO. I am talking more about that lady who's son died. She has been all over the news. Cindy something. I just feel her whole approach is wrong.
  4. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    As far as a chance of going to war, yes you know that, especially if you joined up during wartime. In general though, you don't know a lot about what you are getting yourself into when you join the military I think, even marry someone in the military... people talked to me, answered questions, but there was still plenty I did not know and just had to learn from experience. Christopher as well.

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

5. Senior Member

I knew it when I signed the dotted line so yes I totally agree with the statement.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    As far as war, yes they know since they are joining during war time especially. But, the military in general, NO... they have no idea what they are getting into. Recruiters lie, sgts lie...etc. We have been told soooo many things and nothing ever happens because none of the higher ups feel like doing their paperwork. We've found a lot of things are not as we thought. Basically, after the experience we have had, my opinion of the Army has gone totally down the toilet. I would not reccomend it to anyone I cared about, that's for sure. And we were so surprised because we did our homework!! We researched online, we read books, we talked to people, and still nothing could have prepared us for the things we have been dealing with!! So, no, I don't think "people know what they are getting into when they sign."
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

Ask me about Congenital Heart Defects... 1 in 100, it could be your child...

Ask me about Down Syndrome... more common than you think...

Wife to a Disabled Army Veteran... been there, done that, moving on
  7. army_girl_20
    I think you're very aware of the possibility (probabiity) of going to war before you sign up -- especially if you do any amount of research. What I don't think you can be prepared for is the day-to-day of the military. Sure, we've all seen the random youtube video of some sgt. screaming his head off two inches from some guy's face, we've seen downtime where they act like goofballs, but being in that situation for real... I don't think even another person within the service can describe how it will be. You have to live it and figure it all out on your own. JMO
  8. God Bless the USA
    God Bless the USA
    Blog Entries
    Yes they knew.
    That is what our wonderful military is for. Defending our country. That means the possibility of going to war.
    I'm Sara
    'Blessed is the man that maketh the Lord his trust'
    Psalm 40:4
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Joy of the Lord is my Strength
    Dear GOD, I didn't think orange went with purple until I saw the sunset you made on Tuesday. That was cool!

-Eugene
  9. Cookie Queen
    Cookie Queen
    To an extent yes. War is a risk people take when they join the military. However, it's completely voluntary. If NOONE volunteered, the draft would be in effect thus making most everyone perform their civil duty by serving their country. Attitudes would change, that's for sure.
  10. Senior Member
    I agree up to a point. When my husband enlisted, yes obviously he knew he could possibly go to war. But 16 years ago, I don't think he foresaw that he'd be deployed 4 times in 5 years, to two seperate war zones. Not that he minds doing his duty, not in the least. But still, it was impossible to predict imo.
    ~Now for me, I was so naive about the military. I honestly thought when we got married that he'd never go to war, I thought they were all over. That's what ya get for being 18 I guess
    Thank you Brentscrystal!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast