Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Fear

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Fear

Advertisements
    Do you think that in today's world a level of fear is being created due to perceived, real and/or imaginary dangers? Not that it is anything new that was only created recently. The reason I am asking are 'recent' events like the speech given this week by Bill Cunningham where he repeatedly stressed that Hussein is Barrack Obama's middle name, all those bogus e-mails going around about Obama's past, the National Security threat level that until about a year ago was talked about constantly and which now isn't talked about nearly as much... Do you think that the media and/or the government is making things sound worse than they are? If so for what reason? Or do you think that it should be talked about more? If so, why?
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  2. Senior Member
    Of course they are spreading fear. As to why, I'm not entirely sure. For politicians and such, fear wins elections. If you make someone scared and convince them that you can protect them, you've got their vote. (Or you DON'T have their vote, if you can't get rid of your fears.)

I think with the media, people get bored with news that isn't extreme. The media is very much a competitive market now. If some other newspaper/channel is covering a story that draws people's attention away from you, you've lost money. So the obvious solution is to find bigger and better stories to lure people in. And if you have an agenda, might as well start swaying people's opinions by only showing certain types of information, taking content out of it's context, etc.

But this isn't a new thing. The government did it with the red scare during the Cold War. Governments everywhere do this with the enemy in war-time. I could go on and on about historical examples of this this, but it's depressing. I think you get my point.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Fear is a powerful tool and our government wields it very well.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Green~Mammy View Post
    *applauds* I love how you summed up everything I was trying to say in once sentence. Now I feel inadequate.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Green~Mammy View Post
    As usual, Green Mammy has summed up my thoughts very well.
  6. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    I do think there are things/people out there to be concerned about... I wouldn't say afraid because it gives them the power, but def concerned and aware of. Is Obama one of those things? I don't believe so.

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.