Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: A quote...whats your thoughts

1. Senior Member

A quote...whats your thoughts

Advertisements
    I wasnt sure where to put this(i found this on another site im on), and i just want to see how we all think.

"too many soldiers want to die for their counry. Calling it glorious. I say dont die for your country, give your enemy that glory and let them die for theirs!"

-Dieter Dengler, U.S. Navy Pilot. Vietnam war P.O.W.

Do you feel the same way or differently about what he said? give your reasons.

I totally agree with it. Because you still have honor and respect even though the soldier comes home alive.
  2. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    I think there's a difference here in one key word: want.

It's not that soldiers WANT to die for their country, it's that they are WILLING to die for their country. That makes all the difference in the world. I've never heard death categorized as glorious before, so I really don't think I agree with the quote. I do agree though that war is pretty basic in that there are 2 sides fighting, both willing to die for their cause or their country - and both sides want the other side dead.
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  3. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    Hmm...thats a tough one. On the one hand, if our armed forces view it as glorious if they die for their country, then it just means they are okay with the risks they are taking. But hell...if they can let the enemy die so they get home to us safely, then I say eff the glory!! You'll be glorious in my arms!
  4. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mysoldiersjuliet View Post
    Hmm...thats a tough one. On the one hand, if our armed forces view it as glorious if they die for their country, then it just means they are okay with the risks they are taking. But hell...if they can let the enemy die so they get home to us safely, then I say eff the glory!! You'll be glorious in my arms!
    i totally agree...but couldnt think of the right way to word it.