Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another Spin Off - Child Support - The 'Extras'

1. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries

Yet Another Spin Off - Child Support - The 'Extras'

Advertisements
    What child needs/wants are ok to ask for extra money from the non-custodial parent OUTSIDE of the child support already received?

Be Nice.

My little Loves!
  2. I'm Only A Little Crazy
    I'm Only A Little Crazy
    I get child support for my 2 oldest and their dad will still help with school clothes. He is also still responsible for 1/2 of anything that our insurance doesnt cover as far as medical bills (ordered by the judge since I carry him on my insurance and pay the premium).
    Last edited by miss_kara; 02-29-2008 at 02:51 PM.
  3. Senior Member
    I think extra-curricular activities and school trips and things that cost money are ok to ask for extra. Basically anything outside of the basic needs, clothes, food, shelter, is what I think. I know my dad didn't help my mom at all when it came to anything above and beyond child support, he thought that measly amount that he paid covered everything I guess. He is a dirtbag.
  4. Psych Student by Day..
    Psych Student by Day..
    I think any necessity or "extra" should be split between the parents. That's what the judge ordered in my parents divorce. Granted my father never really stuck to that, or his support for that matter, it was a nice little line in their divorce papers Oh well, he served his time for lack of child support.

Thank you for my siggy Stacey!
    He's home from Iraq!
  5. Senior Member
    I think a lot of it depends on the situation, and how much is being paid.

Normally, I don't think it's too much to ask that the non-custodial parent pay for half of medical expenses. However, that goes into a weird thing if that parent is paying for ALL of the health insurance.

In most cases I've seen, the non-custodial parent will often help buy school clothes...or help pay for extra-curricular activies and things like that.

I've seen a deal made where the parents went in together to help buy a car for the child. Or one buys the car and the other pays for the insurance.

As long as it's truly for the child...and the child support is really going towards the child (and not the parent's car payment or some such...which I've seen, sadly enough), then it's all good.

But that's just my opinion. And it doesn't count for much...because even though my parents were divorced when I was young, my father never paid my child support or gave me anything. And I've never had children (WAH!), so I don't have that experience myself.
  6. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    I have never asked my ex for anything other than the child support. 1) Jerron is just 4 so there isn't much he needs in extras and 2) I think the amount in support I recieve at this time along with DH's pay is enough to cover anything he needs.
    Paul is active duty so Jerron is covered under Tricare Prime so there isn't any deductibles or co pays for his medical care. Before I placed him on Prime and he was on Standard I just payed the deductible and copay and never thought twice about asking him to. It would be a different story Im sure if there was a huge deductible and copays.
  7. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Um, medical expenses that aren't essential for survival... like braces. That's the first that I can think of off of the top of my head.
  8. Kat
    stand barefooted in my own front yard with a baby on my hip
    stand barefooted in my own front yard with a baby on my hip
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    Um, medical expenses that aren't essential for survival... like braces. That's the first that I can think of off of the top of my head.
    That is a good one. I would definately ask for of braces. But I also am asking my "dh" to help with karate (its rather expensive), and other little things like that. If ds wanted a new toy and I couldnt afford it, I will direct him to his father Thats for sure. Daycare I can do on my own (I consider that part of the CS), food, clothes, diapers, rent, etc etc all CS.
    Maybe if I wanted to do a big picture shoot for the kids I would ask him to pay for half, and give him half the pictures as well.
  9. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    Daycare I can do on my own (I consider that part of the CS),
    Actually, I've heard of that being seperated from child support allowances just like medical coverage. And I've heard of the non-custodial parent having to pay for day care (or half) and medical coverage in addition to CS. So u might want to look into that if ur interested.

Anyway, think extra big things like cars and braces should be extra split between the parents.
  10. Wah Its called life idiot
    Wah Its called life idiot
    Sports.
    uniforms.
    new pair of shoes that are needed because something happened to them.
    School lunches if it runs low before next check
    cell phone bill for her phone.
    clothes

shit im not good at this. You think I would being on both sides of the fence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast