Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having to repeat a year in school

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Having to repeat a year in school

Advertisements
    What are your thoughts on it? To me it is a good tool to help students that did not do well that particular year. In Germany you get report cards twice each school year. Halfway through and at the end. If a student falls below certain grades he or she has to repeat that year. In order to move on to the next grade level the student cannot have more than two 5 or one 6. (Grades start at 1 and go up to 6 with 1 being the best and 6 failing). IMO this system makes a lot of sense because it ensures that students who have significantly fallen behind in a subject do not just get pushed through but get another chance to learn the things he or she didn't understand the first time.

ETA> In Germany students are taught all classes with the same classmates most of the time. They have a set classroom that the different teachers go to. Not like here in the states were the classes are most of the time made up by ever changing students.
    Last edited by Germanchick; 02-27-2008 at 11:12 AM.
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  2. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    I'm all for it.. There are cases where the child has obviously not learned enough to move on to the next grade level..

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think it is fine. I think it would be worse to let a child advance to the next grade when they clearly aren't ready and haven't gotten a good grasp on the previous grade.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I don't know that repeating a year will solve the problem. Not all children learn alike, and not all have the same problems. If a student is not good in math, what good to repeat history as well. If the issue is just that the student needs extra help and tutoring, or needs to learn a new way of learning, simply repeating a year will not solve the problem.
    I do not believe in passing a child just for the sake of moving him/her on.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by guynavywife View Post
    I don't know that repeating a year will solve the problem. Not all children learn alike, and not all have the same problems. If a student is not good in math, what good to repeat history as well. If the issue is just that the student needs extra help and tutoring, or needs to learn a new way of learning, simply repeating a year will not solve the problem.
    I agree. If you weren't grasping all the subjects I could see repeating, but if you are just not getting one or two it isn't worth it to repeat an entire grade when all you needed was some extra help. In our state though if you don't pass the TAKS test you can't move on to the next grade even if you have the grades for it. which in my opinion is bogus.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

6. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries
    I think keeping kids back that have not learned what they should be learning is a good thing.

My little Loves!
  7. Live in the moment
    Live in the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    I agree. If you weren't grasping all the subjects I could see repeating, but if you are just not getting one or two it isn't worth it to repeat an entire grade when all you needed was some extra help. In our state though if you don't pass the TAKS test you can't move on to the next grade even if you have the grades for it. which in my opinion is bogus.
    I totally agree. I can understand it they are having trouble all around, but if they're only having trouble in one specific area... you could get a tutor, work over the summer, ect
  8. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by guynavywife View Post
    I agree, it should be on a case by case basis, and should be reviewed. There are definitely times it would be beneficial, not only to that student but to their peers.

9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i think it's a great idea. it is worse to just pass a child without the proper knowledge
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    This is a really tough subject nowadays....because the school can not legally hold back a child...all they can do is suggest it to the parent...and some parents don't want to hold their kids back because of how it will "look" and I think this is really sad....

Also studies show boys mature slower and I like the idea of starting the boys a year late or going to pre school for two years...that way there isn't the "embarassment" for the kids once they start elementary school

Db was born in May and should have been in my grade but his parents decided to wait until he was 6 to start school...I think this is a good idea!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast