Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Diplomatic Immunity..

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Diplomatic Immunity..

Advertisements
    What are you're feelings on this???
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomatic_immunity (in case you don't know what it is)
  2. Cookie Queen
    Cookie Queen
    It is possible for the official's home country to waive immunity; this tends to only happen when the individual has committed a serious crime, unconnected with their diplomatic role (as opposed to, say, allegations of spying), or has witnessed such a crime. Alternatively, the home country may prosecute the individual. Many countries refuse to waive immunity as a matter of course; individuals have no authority to waive their own immunity (except perhaps in cases of defection).
    I don't agree with that. For the most part I think it works since the diplomat is not a resident of the visiting country. However if they are assbags in that country, they deserve to be punished by their laws, not given immunity.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I can understand it to a point, like no parking violations, but to commit a serious crime I think they should be punished. I also understand why we have it though to prevent international incidents... but I don't want crazies in the country committing crimes...
  4. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Why is it that we, as dependents, are required to follow the laws of the country we are living in with our military spouse? But diplomats get special privies? I think it's messed up.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    There have been too many times when immunity has allowed the diplomat, or - more commonly- their dependents, to get away with some fairly serious crimes. I am not a fan of making that sort of exception. I see no reason ANYONE, diplomat or not, needs to be immune to the laws of the land they are in.