Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powerful Images video may no be work or child friendly)

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Powerful Images video may no be work or child friendly)

Advertisements
    I watched Across The Universe the other day and this number was so powerful with the imagery and then the last few MEPPS visuals (she's so heavy) and it made me think how although the situation is an all volunteer military this war that the feeling may be somewhat the same for as how "heavy" liberty may feel to some of those serving in Iraq right now.

Here is the video please watch and tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwB8QiKWodk
  2. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    My husband loves this movie, but said he felt no comparison to Iraq at all. My hubby is really happy about his service though, and doesn't feel it's a burden. He feels sort of called I suppose you could say, and understands most Americans aren't called to work for their nation. It's ok that others feel different though, that just him. I think I feel the burden of his service as more of a pain than he does frankly. He was happy they showed life balanced, that even the peace folks can be radical as well.
    Anyway, we both loved the movie!

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I loved it too. I am a huge Beatles fan. The opening scene was in The Cavern and "The Beatles" were playing on stage just like they did for real during the 60's.
  4. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    wow that was ( for lack of better term) heavy. very powerful i must say. I know dh won't watch the movie ( he mocked me for it being on our netflix list) but I must say i think some might feel it is a heavy burden. despite being an all volunteer force. With the demands placed to recruit soo many new people to the armed forces.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I Loved Loved Loved this movie and see no comparison at all to our war today
  6. Navy Wife
    Navy Wife
    Blog Entries
    Such a great movie!!
    Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i think plenty of soldiers today feel that heavy burden. it's a great idea to think that everyone signed up because they are proud and excited to serve, but honestly thats not always the case! for some people they see military service as the only option for a better life.. and therefor it becomes not so voluntary... if you understand what i mean. it's hard to call something truly voluntary when your other options are poverty, homelessness, ect. i could deffinately see people feeling a burden even in this "voluntary" military.

by no means was that intended to denounce the pride a person feels to serve, just to point out that not everyone "wants" to enlist... it's just given their other options military service is their best choice for a better life.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I absolutely LOVED this particular scene from the movie. I thought the movie was a fantastic portrayal of a fascinating era.... and I think Julie Taymor is completely PHENOMENAL when it comes to telling a story using imagery.

If you guys liked this, you should check out "Frida."
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I LOOOOVE this movie.
    and this is one of my favorite scenes.

as far as liberty feeling heavy.. i really dont have anything to say on the subject... i honestly dont know.
  10. Senior Member
    I LOVE this movie and DH loves it even more than I do. We've been watching it over and over again. The MEPS scence gives me chills. I agree with what kitkat said. And I do see some similarites between Iraq and Vietnam, even though the armed forces now are voluntary.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast