Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Corporate irresponsibility or lack of personal responsibility

1. Banned
    Banned

Corporate irresponsibility or lack of personal responsibility

Advertisements
    There is a move afoot in one of the local communities to ban "novelty lighters" because of the danger they pose to children. The main supporting evidence used to push the ban consists of stories of children who have been injured and/or killed in incidents where they got a hold of and used the lighters.

Here is my question - do you feel that the manufacturer of such lighters is to blame or is it more about the fact that the children were able to get ahold of a lighter, novelty or not, in the first place. (in the story being used to push in this area the children involved were two toddlers - how did they come to have a lighter and be unsupervised long enough to use it?) Another example used in a news story tells of a mother who "accidentally bought a lighter for her 4 year old daughter" - she thought she was buying a little toy dog at the gas station counter but didn't look at it closely enough to realize it was a lighter until her child managed to light it and burn her hand. Is that the fault of the manufacturer for making a lighter that looks like a small toy dog or the fault of the parent for not looking closely enough at the item she was buying to know what it was? Is banning toy-like lighters the answer or would it be better to put efforts into prevention of children being put in a position to have acces to any lighter?

DES MOINES, Iowa -- The National Association of State Fire Marshals is backing an effort to ban novelty lighters across the country, saying they could be mistaken for a toy, with potentially deadly results.

Association President John Dean said some lighters resemble toys you might find in a McDonald's Happy Meal.

Novelty lighters can look like anything from tiny skateboards and cell phones to farm animals and butterflies.
    A handful of states are considering bans.

The European Union has moved to ban novelty lighters, which are generally manufactured in China.

Fire officials worry that manufacturers will try to unload the lighters in the U.S.

Distributors who defend the lighters say they're marketed for adults and tested for safety, and it's up to parents to watch their kids.

A lighter shaped like a tiny motorcycle was blamed for the deaths of two children last year in Arkansas.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    IMO clearly the parents fault. People are too quick to blame the manufacturer. Just like in the recall of the bumbo seats. Simply because parents put their little kids in it unsupervised and left them on the table/chair/counter etc
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  3. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    in cases like these blame lies with the parent ( imo). Who doesn't inspect thing they give their child? That is just silly. I also think that it is up to the parents to make sure they know what their child is getting into, sometimes not always the case, but don't place the blame on others merely because you don't want to take responsibility.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

4. Banned
    Banned
    I do have to say, having seen some of the lighters shown on the news coverage of this, that I have to wonder why an adult would want some of these lighters and if those lighters are not really just a badly disguised attempt to market smoking at younger/underage people since there are so many restrictions on marketing the cigarettes themselves now.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Coming from a smoker...... this is SOLELY the parents fault. Since having kids, I refuse to buy them anymore. All of their toys and such light up the same way these lighters do. In my opinion, common sense is MAJORLY lacking on the parents part.
  6. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    well not having seen the lighters in question, i won't comment on them. But for me I would not buy something and then give it to my child without first checking it. I guess it depends on who is making the lighters? Sorry its past my bed time and I don't seem capable of coherency right now.

I will miss you SOS...

7. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    well not having seen the lighters in question, i won't comment on them. But for me I would not buy something and then give it to my child without first checking it. I guess it depends on who is making the lighters? Sorry its past my bed time and I don't seem capable of coherency right now.
    http://www.nonoveltylighters.com/pictures.asp

scroll to the bottom and there are some of pics of some of them.
  8. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    http://www.nonoveltylighters.com/pictures.asp

scroll to the bottom and there are some of pics of some of them.
    Thanks.
    hmmm honestly i don't know what to say yes they look like toys but still stand my original statement ( i think i have said it twice repeat michelle strikes again.lol) as a parent I would not give my child something like that without inspecting it first.

I will miss you SOS...

9. Seabee Wife
    Seabee Wife
    It's the parents job. My husband and I smoke yet out DD has little ot no access to lighters. We try to keep them out of her reach and keep her under supervision. It's part of my job as a parent. I inspect everything I buy for her. I have to think about small parts, sharp edges and how that object could harm her. I don't think that the manufacturer should have to worry about that. Their product is designed for adult use. So their concern should be about the adults using that product. Why can't a lot of parents grow up and be parents?!?
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    What ever happened to parental responsibility? Sheesh.

This reminds me of a news segment I saw about a gun shop that sells pink rifles with "Hello Kitty" painted on them... and other colorful weapons.

I think there's a fun novelty about things like that that true collectors appreciate. Responsible gun owners also know that guns need to be either locked in a safe, or completely out of the reach of ANY child.

Again.... parental responsibility....