Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Should race or gender be a determining factor

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Should race or gender be a determining factor

Advertisements
    For anyone - for anything - ever?

Are there ever any circumstances in which you SHOULD consider this as a reason for any decision that is ever made - careers, family matters, adoption, medical care, etc.
  2. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    Nope

I think that each person should be evaluated equally and given the same opportunities.
  3. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Maybe some medical care. As in maybe some races should have mandatory screenings for things that particular race is more prone to. Other than that, no.

4. Seabee Wife
    Seabee Wife
    Yes. I hate to say it but yes, there are times when race, gender and other things play into the qualifications or needs of that person. I don't want to see a strip club being sued because of gender issues. I'm sorry but if I go to see a man strut his stuff, I don't want to see a woman on stage. btw, that was just an example, I've never actually been to a male strip club. I know I discriminate sometimes on purpose. I know I want to go to a female OBGYN so that's a question I ask when deciding who I will see. I just discriminated but to many that's acceptable.
    I completely agree that babies should be screened for common ethnic diseases.
    When I was in college and had to take specific religious studies I didn't want to take Christian studies from a Muslim if there was a Christian professor available. I felt you should teach what you know and practice.
    I think in general we should strive not to discriminate against a person because of those things but if it's truely relevent then I feel it applys. I guess the problem is in policing it.
  5. Senior Member
    I think that when it comes to things such as work applications or college applications or even standardized tests race and gender should not even be asked..... For example on the ACT's you get more points if you are a black male in comparison to a white male.. instead i think that sociodemographics should be used...

But when it comes to healthcare and other things i agree with the people above... obviously a womens insurance should pay for things such as mammograms because they are women and are more prone to breast cancer
  6. Senior Member
    Maybe some medical care. As in maybe some races should have mandatory screenings for things that particular race is more prone to. Other than that, no

I think that when it comes to things such as work applications or college applications or even standardized tests race and gender should not even be asked..... For example on the ACT's you get more points if you are a black male in comparison to a white male.. instead i think that sociodemographics should be used...

But when it comes to healthcare and other things i agree with the people above... obviously a womens insurance should pay for things such as mammograms because they are women and are more prone to breast cancer

i agree- like sickle cell should be screened for in African American people. or turrets (i dont think i spelled that right) in the Jewish people- simply because they are more prone to have these diseases. but not in most jobs,or tests.
    Due March 19 2009 born at 31w6d,54 day NICU stay(home march 11th w/o anything),4 days on vent,40ish days on O2 after that
    Due March 11 2012 born at 35w 1 d, 11 day NICU stay(home Feb 17 with O2 ),27 days on Oxygen
  7. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie826 View Post
    Good point
    With the government trying to emphasize the "melting pot" or "Politically Correct" aspects of everyday living then why do they take the effort to break education down into race-statistics?

How different would funding and general concerns be if race-statistics were removed from reports and you only saw the success of students?
  8. Senior Member

No i dont think so. We should all be treated as equals.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Yes sometimes they do play a factor