Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grandparents babysitting fulltime

1. Senior Member

grandparents babysitting fulltime

Advertisements
    Our eas is comming up soon and I am going to be going to work fulltime which got me thinking how Im going to have my mom babysit. Well it also has me pondering the should I pay her? My grandmom watched me and my sister while my parents worked fulltime (my dad was a firefighter so he had some days off where he could let my grandma have a break I will also be in the fire department so I can give her a break) and they never paid her a dime. Her thing was thats what grandparents are for. Well now she is telling me that I am to pay her as if she was a daycare. I dont mind reimburing her for food and all but shes expecting atleast 200 a week. I just feel like she is being hypocritical because she never payed my grandma for watching us kids. So what do yall think?
  2. Banned
    Banned
    She has a right to request what she thinks is fair and you have a right to decide whether or not you want to take her deal Personally, I think *expecting* free childcare is a bit much. Taking it when/if offered is one thing, but to expect it (regardless of what anyone else has done in the past) smacks of entitlement to me.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Hmm.... if it were me, I'd probably offer to pay my mom whatever I could afford.... even though she would probably never let me.

I don't know, that's tough.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    It depends on the situation because my mom moved here temporarily till Keith comes home so I can go back to work. She won't take any money, but I "pay" her in groceries, dinners out, etc. I would talk to your mom and ask her why she wants you to pay her when she didn't do it herself. Maybe there's an issue she's not telling you about.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss B Hav'n View Post
    She has a right to request what she thinks is fair and you have a right to decide whether or not you want to take her deal Personally, I think *expecting* free childcare is a bit much. Taking it when/if offered is one thing, but to expect it (regardless of what anyone else has done in the past) smacks of entitlement to me.
    I agree, thanks for reading my mind. I wasn't sure how to say it.
  6. Senior Member
    I dont expect free childcare, at first she was telling me how I was going to go to social services and tell them I was putting my kids in daycare and give her the vouchers which Im pretty sure is illegal considering shes not a liscensed daycare. I dont mind paying her to watch the babies just sometimes shes a little wacked on her ideas. I just dont understand her "thats what grandparents are for" thing.
  7. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    I'm not sure, I think I'd talk to her. But, I am someone who will never let my kids be watched full time by their grandparents, I've just seen too many situations go badly. I'm wondering if she is afraid of being used? I'd sit her down and straight out ask her.

8. Banned
    Banned
    Well now she is telling me that I am to pay her as if she was a daycare. I dont mind reimburing her for food and all but shes expecting atleast 200 a week. I just feel like she is being hypocritical because she never payed my grandma for watching us kids.
    What part of that says you aren't looking for free child care? Yes, you said you would "reimburse" her, but that does not equate paying her. You were also very clear about feeling she is being hypocritical because she never paid your grandmother - again, that seems to indicate you are wanting her to do for you what grandma did for her, free childcare.
  9. Senior Member
    I worded it the wrong way. Honestly I think 200 a week is a bit much for your own grandkids. I know if I put them in daycare it will be more than an arm and a leg. My mom and I just have a rocky history. She told my sister if she ever has kids she would babysit them for free so she could work. I know I will be pulling in enough to pay her. I should have put the daycare vouchers thing in my first post. Sorry Im sleep deprived not thinking
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Well if you don't think her time is worth that amount, maybe you could put your kids in a daycare and use the vouchers for that. Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast