Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Should we cater to the spanish speaking community so much?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 19.61%
  • No

29 56.86%
  • Not sure

5 9.80%
  • I don't care

7 13.73%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spanish speaking community

1. Mommy960003

Question Spanish speaking community

Advertisements
    I was just wondering, I hear a lot of views on this topic. I hear that a lot of Americans think that the US caters too much to the Spanish speaking community, in a sense 'handi-capping' them. Meaning, making it easier for them to not learn English. Sure there are ESL classes, but every product on the shelf and 1-800 number called has a spanish option. What is your view on this? Do you think we should continue to make it easy for people to not learn our national language if they plan to live here?
  2. Senior Member
    my parents speak only Spanish, yes some things are meant to help, but having those options doesn't always help.
    my family found a way to get by and learn English slowly.
    Its nice that some places do that, but it only makes a slight difference.
    I don't think we should make it easier on them. I think that they should try to offer classes with real "English" more then just the basics.
    English that they will actually be able to use.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I put "I don't care" what I really mean is, if a business wants to put the extra effort into catering to people of other languages, whatever. personally, I don't like to call my AMERICAN phone company to hear "hola, por continuad en espanol, numero uno, por engles, numero dos." (all you who speak spanish please excuse my poor spelling.) Anyway, I mean, if I'm calling an american company I expect to hear english first not spanish, and english as option one not visa versa. Also, on another note similar, I was so mad the other day when I went to a Mexican pastry shop near my house that just opened up and nothing had prices, so I waited and let a woman go ahead of me and she picked up something, paid $2 for it and left. I picked up the very same thing, pulled out $2 and the boy at the register said in heavy spanish accent "oh, no... issss, uhhhh... fibe dollar." I said "ok, well no thanks then because that woman just paid $2 for the same thing" Then he starts with the "no understand, not speak english" bullshit. So, I put what was probably a pretty damn good churro back because I realized nothing had prices because they were making up the prices based on the person.
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

Ask me about Congenital Heart Defects... 1 in 100, it could be your child...

Ask me about Down Syndrome... more common than you think...

Wife to a Disabled Army Veteran... been there, done that, moving on
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wife-n-mommy View Post
    I put "I don't care" what I really mean is, if a business wants to put the extra effort into catering to people of other languages, whatever. personally, I don't like to call my AMERICAN phone company to hear "hola, por continuad en espanol, numero uno, por engles, numero dos." (all you who speak spanish please excuse my poor spelling.) Anyway, I mean, if I'm calling an american company I expect to hear english first not spanish, and english as option one not visa versa. Also, on another note similar, I was so mad the other day when I went to a Mexican pastry shop near my house that just opened up and nothing had prices, so I waited and let a woman go ahead of me and she picked up something, paid $2 for it and left. I picked up the very same thing, pulled out $2 and the boy at the register said in heavy spanish accent "oh, no... issss, uhhhh... fibe dollar." I said "ok, well no thanks then because that woman just paid $2 for the same thing" Then he starts with the "no understand, not speak english" bullshit. So, I put what was probably a pretty damn good churro back because I realized nothing had prices because they were making up the prices based on the person.
    NOW thats pretty shitty!
    They shouldn't treat you any differently. You are still a customer no matter what.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I don't care we have no national language. We are a melting pot and it doesn't matter to me if someone has an accent or if something is printed/telecasted in another language besides English.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    See, Green Bay does this with the Hmong community there to an extent. Some (very few) think that we should make an effort to learn their language to make it easier on them. A representative from their community said that in a college class and a few of us questioned him and we were made to feel like racists. Sorry to threadjack, to the OP question: No, I don't think we should cater to anyone that comes here to live, they need to learn how to live here and that includes speaking basic and everyday English. I would learn Spanish if I was going to live in Latin America, same principle to me.
  7. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    I say Yes. Because w/o spanish speakers in this country, we wouldn't have GOODDDDDDDDDDDD Mexican food!!!!

8. martiemullet
    no, because if we're going to cater to one language, we should be catering to all of them.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    while i can see that there was definatly a problem at the spanish bakery ( and i had my share of reverse racism issues when living in brownsville texas) i personally see no problem with the spanish prompts on phone lines and the like. my inlaws (RIP) spoke some limited english but got confused quite easily. i have no qualms about others speaking a different language here and getting help in their native tongue. we are a melting pot of diverse languages and cultures and of course not all can be focused on but spanish is a dominant language of the minority languages spoken in this country and i feel that we should help any that we can by making things less confusing. i don't know, my personal opinion is that we are supposed to be a humanitarian country yet more and more i continually hear people blasting one nationality or another for something that some white americans no longer feel they should help with. its sad really. but then that is just my opinion. i have no real evidence other than what i have seen and personally experienced being in a interracial marriage with mixed children i have had my problems with things and i have watched his family struggle to adapt to our language and culture with shocking comments when something was mis said or pronounced incorrectly. so maybe i am biased.
    I feel the need to be petted too!
  10. Senior Member
    Nope... I don't think we should. In my opinion, just as the same if you move to any other country, you need to learn the language and be able to speak it. I could care less if you want to speak it at home or where ever you are... but if you are gonna talk to somewhere in a place of business, including a walmart, then you need to speak freaking english!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast