Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A book I saw today at Border's

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

A book I saw today at Border's

Advertisements
    How to Raise an American:
    1776 Fun and Easy Tools, Tips, and Activities to Help Your Child Love This Country

Description: This inspiring guide fills a critical need with practical, hands-on advice for parents to teach their children about patriotism. Loaded with material that even the busiest parents can use every day, this work includes activities and games, places to visit as a family, reading and film suggestions, and more.

Patriotic fun or Nationalistic propaganda?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Without knowing more about it it sounds very much like books that were required reading in the BDM and HJ (two youth groups all German children had to be in starting from the age of 10). I don't like the idea of 'forced' patriotism. Once again it seems to be more about nationalism than patriotism.
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  3. Seabee Wife
    Seabee Wife
    Patriotic fun... I mean no one is forcing you to buy and read the book. It's not being papered all over the place, it's an option. I think it's a good thing. I think we need to be proud of where we live and where we come from even if they are not the same country. Appreciate each for the qualities it has. But don't come here and then talk about how bad it is. That irks me. If you don't like it, leave or change it, don't just complain.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RonniesWifeJen View Post
    But don't come here and then talk about how bad it is. That irks me. If you don't like it, leave or change it, don't just complain.
    Is this directed at me?
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I don't think there is a critical need to instill Patriotism to me it smacks of Nationalism.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i think it could be fun especially if you homeschool or supplement so you can help your child learn about being an American (and all that it entails) in a fun way. just because something is about being an american doesn't mean you are trying to turn us into Nazi Germany or mindless nationalistic monsters
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    If it is like the other books I have seen similar, it is more a way to teach kids about the country, the founding father's,etc. Nothing wrong with that...in fact more or today's youth need to learn about our past so they can understand what got us here. Maybe they would respect it more.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    I would rather focus on raising good PEOPLE than good Americans
  9. Senior Member
    It's kind of hard to really have an opinion without fully knowing what the book is like. If it has stuff like "how to make red, white, and blue play-do" and little arts and crafts or something, then I don't see anything wrong w/ that. Or if its just like a history book about past presidents and important people in our country- then I think that's great too! They have stuff like childrens bibles, but I wouldn't say thats forcing religion done peoples throats...I think its just for the people who want a fun way to teach their kids about this country!
    LOVIN' MY LIFE AS A MOM AND A WIFE!
  10. Senior Member
    It's hard to form an opinion without reading it... I found the first chapter though.. http://www.howtoraiseanamerican.com/...erpt_from.html
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast