Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Pre Eclampsia and your diet

1. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Question Pre Eclampsia and your diet

Advertisements
    So a girl on xanga posted some things about your diet affecting complications you have during pregnancy. What she was talking about was Dr. Brewer's pregnancy diet...(http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/brewer...lan-checklist/)

It seems to make some sense to me.. granted its not proven that things like pre-eclampsia and hellp happen bc of your diet.,.. but in a way i could see how it could be. There have been testimonials etc from people who have had pre-e and followed the diet and didnt get it in other pregnancies (granted that could just be luck bc it isnt guarentee'd that youd get it in other pregnancies if you had it the first time). (As of right now, there are no known causes of pre-e, hellp, etc nor are there any known cures) The studies done by Dr. Brewer that show a total elimination of preeclampsia in a population that had previous rates of 40%.

I knew nothing of this diet so I've looked it up online and read some things. It seems to make sense but at the same time- i wonder just how true it is. I can see how lots of salt would be bad for you when you ARENT pregnant but the girl on xanga has a good point "our bodies require extra salt to build extra blood volume, extra protein to build healthy babies, and tons of water to keep amniotic levels high, and to keep pretty much everything going". She also stated that OB's "standards include a limited calorie intake, absolutely NOT 100 grams of protein, little or no salt, and they rarely give out information as to what a 'good' diet is"..

It seems to make sense to me but at the same time i want to say its bullshit... any thoughts?

I also found this online- it might explain things better than I did above lol.
    "Dr. Thomas H. Brewer, M.D. conducted ground-breaking research into Metabolic Toxemia of Late Pregnancy in 1979. He conclusively linked diet and the development of toxemia in pregnant women, showing that this was not a disease of the liver or the kidney or the placenta, as previously thought, but one of malnutrition, specifically a lack of protein, and therefore preventable. Here’s the concise version:

If a mother has a weak diet, her liver falls behind with albumin production. Water can’t stay in circulation with lowered albumin (hypoalbuminemia), so water leaks into the tissues which causes swelling (edema) and a decreased blood volume (hypovolemia and hemoconcentration). Blood volume continues to decrease if nutrition doesn’t improve and the kidneys become overworked as they try to restore fluid to circulation. Blood pressure rises in an attempt to maintain adequate blood volume. And finally, when blood volume gets too low, the kidneys shut down. Women with toxemia also show signs of liver degradation.

In hospital studies (way back in 1979, please see Metabolic Toxemia of Late Pregnancy by Thomas H. Brewer, M.D.), women in advanced stages of toxemia (convulsions) were put on a low-salt, low-calorie diet, and given diuretics. They did not improve. Some died. However, women who were infused with human albumin serum (to pull the water out of tissues and put it back into circulation) and put on high protein diets showed significant and very quick improvment—increased urine output, lowered blood pressure, no proteinuria, normalization of hematocrit, reduction of edema.

Mild cases of toxemia can be treated with increased protein intake—including lots of eggs, whites of which are almost completely albumin. Toxemia is life-threatening to both mother and baby and once it advances beyond “mild” it is not treatable except with delivery.

The four basic principles of daily prenatal nutrition are:

* Calories (2600 singleton; 3100 twins)

* Protien (80 to 100 g singleton; 110-130 g twins)

* Salt (to taste—if you crave it your body probably needs it)

* Water (drinking water actually reduces swelling)

This doesn’t mean you have to have steak at every meal. A good rule is to have three types of protein at every meal and protein at every snack (per Sena Johnson, Registered Midwife). And a serving of protein isn’t very big: just the size of a deck of cards or the palm of your hand. You can get protein in surprising places: corn, asparagus, dates, squash, collard greeans, broccoli, and others have four or more grams of protein per serving. If you’re not a meaty person, you can get protein from nut butters, whole grains, tofu, wheat germ. That’s not to even mention beans. But you have to eat enough (calories). If you don’t, your body burns the protein immediately which can lead to an insufficiency of protein even if you’re eating a lot of it.

Interestingly, and not surprisingly, lack of good nutrition not only makes mama more susceptible to toxemia, it can also compromise the baby’s cerebral function."
  2. Senior Member
    Hmmm, yeah, it seems to make sense, but I had preeclampsia with my first, but not my second. I had a lot of complications with my first, but my second was completely healthy with totally different side effects. For example, with my second, I battled horrible migraines through most of my pregnancy and I never had that with my first. My OB said that sometimes that happens, and believe me, I am limited in foods because I have such a picky palate, so my diets were pretty much exactly the same... Interesting though. Every woman and every pregnancy is somewhat different.

Thank you, BrentsCrystal! You are amazing!
  3. Mommy960003
    I think that like with any disease, diet should be looked at carefully. JMO