Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: The John McCain Flip-Flop

1. Senior Member

The John McCain Flip-Flop

Advertisements
    In a Republican presidential debate on Nov. 28, McCain said that the Army Field Manual should be the gold standard for interrogations:

I would hope that we would understand, my friends, that life is not 24 and Jack Bauer. Life is interrogation techniques which are humane and yet effective. And I just came back from visiting a prison in Iraq. The army general there said that techniques under the Army Field Manual are working and working effectively, and he didn’t think they need to do anything else. My friends, this is what America is all about

Then, in February, he votes AGAINST a bill that says the same thing:

McCain votes to kill anti-torture bill after making 'opposition to torture' one of his signature issues
    By John Aravosis DC Link

Today, McCain voted with those opposing the Intelligence bill because it uses the Army Field Manual (something he used to support) to effectively outlaw torture (something he used to oppose). In the end, McCain lost and we won. The Senate passed the bill (vote count here) making the Army Field Manual the law of the land for the entire US government. Senator Reid describe the bill:
    Washington, DC—Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid made the following statement today after the U.S. Senate passed the Intelligence Authorization conference report, which includes a provision to establish a single, government-wide interrogation standard as outlined in the Army Field Manual:

“The Senate today declared that the Army Field Manual works and torture does not. In sending the President a bill that establishes one interrogation standard for the entire U.S. government, we are taking an important step toward restoring our moral leadership in the world. Military and foreign policy experts agree that torture is counterproductive. It elicits unreliable information, puts U.S. troops at risk and undermines our counterinsurgency efforts.

“It is now up to the President to show his own moral leadership and sign this bill into law. And if he refuses to do so, I hope the Republicans who voted for this bill’s passage will stand up to the President and override his veto.”

He voted party lines, big surprise there. But, he turned his back on one thing that made him stand apart from other Republicans. For me, this is unforgivable. Pandering, which the Maverick is supposed to be above. He lost any chance of my vote with that vote.
    I worship individuals for their highest possibilities as individuals, and I loathe humanity, for its failures to live up to these possibilities.
  2. Cheeseburger in Paradise
    Cheeseburger in Paradise
    Blog Entries
    McCain flip flops on nearly everything.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mpicky View Post
    In a Republican presidential debate on Nov. 28, McCain said that the Army Field Manual should be the gold standard for interrogations:

I would hope that we would understand, my friends, that life is not 24 and Jack Bauer. Life is interrogation techniques which are humane and yet effective. And I just came back from visiting a prison in Iraq. The army general there said that techniques under the Army Field Manual are working and working effectively, and he didn’t think they need to do anything else. My friends, this is what America is all about

Then, in February, he votes AGAINST a bill that says the same thing:

McCain votes to kill anti-torture bill after making 'opposition to torture' one of his signature issues
    By John Aravosis DC Link

Today, McCain voted with those opposing the Intelligence bill because it uses the Army Field Manual (something he used to support) to effectively outlaw torture (something he used to oppose). In the end, McCain lost and we won. The Senate passed the bill (vote count here) making the Army Field Manual the law of the land for the entire US government. Senator Reid describe the bill:
    Washington, DC—Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid made the following statement today after the U.S. Senate passed the Intelligence Authorization conference report, which includes a provision to establish a single, government-wide interrogation standard as outlined in the Army Field Manual:

“The Senate today declared that the Army Field Manual works and torture does not. In sending the President a bill that establishes one interrogation standard for the entire U.S. government, we are taking an important step toward restoring our moral leadership in the world. Military and foreign policy experts agree that torture is counterproductive. It elicits unreliable information, puts U.S. troops at risk and undermines our counterinsurgency efforts.

“It is now up to the President to show his own moral leadership and sign this bill into law. And if he refuses to do so, I hope the Republicans who voted for this bill’s passage will stand up to the President and override his veto.”

He voted party lines, big surprise there. But, he turned his back on one thing that made him stand apart from other Republicans. For me, this is unforgivable. Pandering, which the Maverick is supposed to be above. He lost any chance of my vote with that vote.

I am really glad you brought this up, I saw this, but didn't want to bring it up considering the amount of McCain supporters on this board. I like the guy, I do, (although I am a dem and wouldn't vote for him) but it seems like he is just trying really hard to be liked. He'll say what people want to hear....
  4. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    I'd have to read more about the bill to be able to comment really. It seems there is always more to the story, not sure if that's the case here. Will have to check it out.

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

5. Sorry Ms.Jackson, I am for real................
    Sorry Ms.Jackson, I am for real................
    Quote Originally Posted by jennypage View Post
    I am really glad you brought this up, I saw this, but didn't want to bring it up considering the amount of McCain supporters on this board. I like the guy, I do, (although I am a dem and wouldn't vote for him) but it seems like he is just trying really hard to be liked. He'll say what people want to hear....
    I believe its all politicians that say what it is that people want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    I'd have to read more about the bill to be able to comment really. It seems there is always more to the story, not sure if that's the case here. Will have to check it out.
    I do believe there is more to it, I too would like to research it before I make any comments on the matter.

My beautiful Children

Maria
  6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I saw this, too. It upsets me that he chose partisan pandering instead of sticking to his guns. As an Army Intel veteran this story REALLY upset my husband, too.

I am in complete and utter shock that people even support the use of torture at all in this country. It baffles me that anyone would condone the use of the same interrogation techniques that terrorists use. And the sheer number of people that think that torture is somehow justified because of who the "enemy" is, and think it is even effective... I don't get it. I thought our country was more civilized and more moral than that. Apparently I was wrong.