Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Should the draft be reinstated?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 11.86%
  • No

81 68.64%
  • Maybe with restraints

17 14.41%
  • Other- please explain.

6 5.08%
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reinstate the draft

1. >.< *face palm* >.<
    >.< *face palm* >.<

Reinstate the draft

Advertisements
    Reinstate the draft- Do you think its a good idea or necessary?? Why or why not?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think it's going to start drama on the issue of whether women should be drafted or not,
    we as women have so many more rights, and i'm sure would feel like they should be drafted too. i dunno i think that would be my main issue.
  3. Senior Member
    A draft is pointless, and it was proven in Vietnam that it doesn't work..

According to the Selective Service, there are 11 million men registered ages 18 to 26. However, just for fun lets apply it to females as well, so let's double it to 22 million.

Assume that 22 million "draftees" are serving in the grade of E-1 (the very lowest enlisted grade). An E-1 in today's military starts off at $1278.50 per month.

That comes to a payroll of $28 billion dollars per month, just in the basic pay. It's a yearly payroll of $337 billion dollars.

We also have to feed these troops. Currently, it's $200 per month to feed a Joe. So, we'll have to add $52.8 billion dollars to our military budget.

Where are these 22 million troops going to live? Well, we certainly can't house them in the Louisiana Superdome. Military personnel receive a housing allowance that, for an E-1 averages about $800 per month. That's a housing budget of $211 billion dollars per year..

Add the costs for uniforms, equipment, training, dental, relocation expenses, etc.

We can barely afford our current force-levels of 1.5 million active duty members. Our country doesn't need a draft, nor could we afford bringing even a small percentage of our population on active duty.

I'd really like to post about the cost of training a joe in the modern military, but I'll have to do that later.. DH signed into messenger..
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    absolutely not!!!

Everyday you spend worrying about tomorrow...you miss living for today...
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    No, absolutely not.
  6. (i carry it in my heart)
    (i carry it in my heart)
    Definitely not. I think that serving in the military should be a CHOICE. Maybe if they need more service members, they could treat the ones they have a bit better and / or make it more desirable to be in the military... because honestly alot of people can make more money as civilians, without having to be away from their families for 15 months at a time.
    Oh, hey. I'm back!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by leftover View Post
    A draft is pointless, and it was proven in Vietnam that it doesn't work..

According to the Selective Service, there are 11 million men registered ages 18 to 26. However, just for fun lets apply it to females as well, so let's double it to 22 million.

Assume that 22 million "draftees" are serving in the grade of E-1 (the very lowest enlisted grade). An E-1 in today's military starts off at $1278.50 per month.

That comes to a payroll of $28 billion dollars per month, just in the basic pay. It's a yearly payroll of $337 billion dollars.

We also have to feed these troops. Currently, it's $200 per month to feed a Joe. So, we'll have to add $52.8 billion dollars to our military budget.

Where are these 22 million troops going to live? Well, we certainly can't house them in the Louisiana Superdome. Military personnel receive a housing allowance that, for an E-1 averages about $800 per month. That's a housing budget of $211 billion dollars per year..

Add the costs for uniforms, equipment, training, dental, relocation expenses, etc.

We can barely afford our current force-levels of 1.5 million active duty members. Our country doesn't need a draft, nor could we afford bringing even a small percentage of our population on active duty.

I'd really like to post about the cost of training a joe in the modern military, but I'll have to do that later.. DH signed into messenger..
    in addition to my answer of absolutely not i'd like to add hers too....

Everyday you spend worrying about tomorrow...you miss living for today...
  8. >.< *face palm* >.<
    >.< *face palm* >.<

I agree with everything posted so far!
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    No way
  10. (i carry it in my heart)
    (i carry it in my heart)
    I'd love to know what the "maybe, with restraints" votes think though - what kind of restraints?
    Oh, hey. I'm back!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast