Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617

Thread: Spanish Star Spangled Banner???

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Advertisements
    Translating it into other languages so people can understand it is one thing. Screwing with the meaning and words is another, and not acceptable IMO.
  2. Psych Student by Day..
    Psych Student by Day..
    If spanish-speaking people want to understand it, they can get a copy of the translation, with no words changed. I'm sure its out there somewhere. If spanish speaking people really want to know what the song says, they will do this. Because they arent making an effort to find out the translation, why should we go and change it to cater to them? Maybe once they are given the translation, they can learn the English version and sing along with it. JMO though ladies

Thank you for my siggy Stacey!
    He's home from Iraq!
  3. Breezy
    Quote Originally Posted by ash87
    The Star-Spangled Banner was translated into Spanish in 1919 by the US Bureau of Education[4]. It has also been translated into a number of other languages. In 1861, it was translated into German [5] (and is also on that page in Latin). It has been translated into Yiddish by Jewish immigrants[6]and into French by Acadians of Louisiana [7].

got that from Wikpedia. just to let you know
    So since it has already been translated almost 100 years ago why did it have to be done again? Oh wait I know the answer to that because they didn't translate it they wanted it CHANGED to have a different meaning
  4. clayjmw
    that quote is 100 years old.
    times are changing.

i think it is totally acceptable to translate anything anyone wants to translate. if the anthem being in a language the immigrants speak can get them to KNOW the anthem and learn more about America then I am all for it.

really, what is the big deal? why do Americans for some reason act as if they are any better than anyone else?
    I heard the spanish anthem and it is nothing remotely close to the real one. And in my opinion do you think that if we went to mexico the would play thier national athem in english nope sorry I do not think they would. I do not think I am better than anyone else it is the fact that people come here and expect me to change the things I grew up to. THEY came to America to live in our country they did not bring their country with them it is either you are an American or you are German, Irish, French or Spanish. I was born in Italy but my parents are both American I am an American by blood but do you think that while my parents lived in Italy the all started to speak English and stoped speaking Italian? Did the put their anthem in English so that my parents could understand their country. No. I am not trying to cause a problem this is just my opinion.
  5. clayjmw
    have you been forced to learn spanish?
    Actually in Florida in some school district it is manditory to take spanish language and the last thing I heard before I left with my husband that they were trying to get it to where they start teaching the kids spanish in elementary school.
  6. clayjmw
    are you fluent? has a hispanic person approached you on the street and been rude if you didnt know spanish? the immigrants are not sitting back expecting you to cater to them. and honestly, we are one of the only nations in the world where are citizens are not bi-lingual and IMO, that is PATHETIC
    My dh and I were stationed in El Centro, Ca and the funny thing is that it was hard to get a job at BK because I could not speak spanish but anyways getting back to the subject at hand. In El Centro if you could not speak spanish then they were rude they did not even try to help me understand they just huffed and stuck up their noses. And IMO Being an American it is my right not to have to learn another language. See this is what I do not understand Ash you are saying that since we won't let them have the spanish american athem cause they could not speak english we act better then them, But we are pathetic cause we are not bi-lingual. Cause what you said does not make one lick of sense to me! Sorry if I sound crude but wouldn't that make them pathetic also considering obviously they are not bi-lingual either?
    Last edited by clayjmw; 05-03-2006 at 01:33 AM.
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617