Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415

Thread: May 1st

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileysmom
    Well regardless of how hard it is to get a VISA or citizenship, and I do believe that it is hard, it is still not right to come here illegally.

It is not a race thing to me, it doesn't matter if it is a white European, an Arab, an Australian, a Mexican, or someone from Africa. There is no reason to do it illegally. If everything in life were that easy, it would not be worthwhile. There is nothing wrong with going through the process legally, which is what this argument was initially about.
    , you couldn't have said it better, that was my point I just should have come out and said like that.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by germanchick
    Have you ever TRIED getting a green card? Let me tell you, it is NOT easy. There are a million different forms to fill out, medical exams to get, not to mention the COST of getting an adjustment of status (So far DH and I have paid $200 for medical stuff, $750 for a lawyer to help us (another $750 is due at the end of the process), not to forget about $900 for the different forms including working permit etc).
    Im not understanding why its costing you so much. Ive waited in line at the immigration office in San Diego many times.... for HOURS... and yes it does take a lot of waiting, and patience, but all the girls I waited with, paid about $150 (actually the state of CA paid it but thats another post) and then had to wait up to 6 months to get their legalization paperwork, social security number etc.
  3. Loving My Navy Veteran
    Loving My Navy Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileysmom
    Well regardless of how hard it is to get a VISA or citizenship, and I do believe that it is hard, it is still not right to come here illegally.

It is not a race thing to me, it doesn't matter if it is a white European, an Arab, an Australian, a Mexican, or someone from Africa. There is no reason to do it illegally. If everything in life were that easy, it would not be worthwhile. There is nothing wrong with going through the process legally, which is what this argument was initially about.
  4. Senior Member
    I have mixed feelings about this topic. Partly because I'm not fully educated about it all. It's the end of the semester and after doing all my hw, I just don't feel like thinking any more lol.

So this is my slightly uneducated opinion.

1. I can see the need for immigration laws. However, I don't think we are seeing the long term implications on this country and we're ignoring the humanitarian aspect.
    2. I think we should make it easier/more streamlined to get into this country. No, illegal immigrants are not the only people working the sucky jobs, but damn they are a lot. So let's give the people green cards to keep those jobs.

3. Are they going to deport the illegals that are here now? That's just a stupid waste of $$, in my opinion. If they're already here, just let them stay. They're already established here, so it's not going to do us or them good to make them leave.

4. We all pay sales tax, that is one way illegals pay tax. They pay rent to their landlord, and part of that rent $$ goes towards taxes. Those are just 2 examples off the top of my head of how they pay taxes. I'm sure there are more.

5. It must be pretty sucky to be an illegal immigrant here, so it just makes me think how bad life might be in their country of origin that they're willing to risk so much, even their lives sometimes, to be here and work a crap job for barely any $$. If we're going to not let people into the country, I would like to see efforts made to help people who want to come into this country so bad.

Example: I work w/ someone who is originally from Cambodia (she is here legally, btw). It really sucks to live there, at least from the town her family is from. Basically everyone has PTSD and is fearful of their life all the time. Her family was lucky enough to have the $$ to come here legally. Many people there are so poor that they do not and will never have the opportunity to get that kind of $$. It is worth the risk to come here because working a crap job is better than life back home.

I just think it's so easy for us to say that we need all these rules and that people should do all this stuff, when we can't see their point of view at all. I just hope that I am never put in the same position that they are.

Btw, I also realize that not all immigrants or illegals are in a similar situation to what I mentioned above. I assume that most illegals are in some type of situation like that, but I have no factual evidence to base this on.

Why is it so hard for some people to get a green card? Look at Kristina. She's already studied in the US and she's a bright person who could contribute in positive ways to American society. She's already married to an American, so just let her get her stuff together and let's be done with it.
  5. Independent Beachbody Coach
    Independent Beachbody Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by MW5M
    Actually lots of Chinese and south east asians have chosen this route here in the recent years. They take a ship to Mexico... then come across the Mexican Border.... not that it matters, just stating a fact.

I can see how you are offended by the comment, and Im not belittling your feelings.
    It wasnt anything you said Apryl! Thanks for understanding.....

I wasnt aware of that being done at all....something else to research! Thanks for clarifying that for me though....
  6. Independent Beachbody Coach
    Independent Beachbody Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren
    I have mixed feelings about this topic. Partly because I'm not fully educated about it all. It's the end of the semester and after doing all my hw, I just don't feel like thinking any more lol.

So this is my slightly uneducated opinion.

1. I can see the need for immigration laws. However, I don't think we are seeing the long term implications on this country and we're ignoring the humanitarian aspect.
    2. I think we should make it easier/more streamlined to get into this country. No, illegal immigrants are not the only people working the sucky jobs, but damn they are a lot. So let's give the people green cards to keep those jobs.

3. Are they going to deport the illegals that are here now? That's just a stupid waste of $$, in my opinion. If they're already here, just let them stay. They're already established here, so it's not going to do us or them good to make them leave.

4. We all pay sales tax, that is one way illegals pay tax. They pay rent to their landlord, and part of that rent $$ goes towards taxes. Those are just 2 examples off the top of my head of how they pay taxes. I'm sure there are more.

5. It must be pretty sucky to be an illegal immigrant here, so it just makes me think how bad life might be in their country of origin that they're willing to risk so much, even their lives sometimes, to be here and work a crap job for barely any $$. If we're going to not let people into the country, I would like to see efforts made to help people who want to come into this country so bad.

Example: I work w/ someone who is originally from Cambodia (she is here legally, btw). It really sucks to live there, at least from the town her family is from. Basically everyone has PTSD and is fearful of their life all the time. Her family was lucky enough to have the $$ to come here legally. Many people there are so poor that they do not and will never have the opportunity to get that kind of $$. It is worth the risk to come here because working a crap job is better than life back home.

I just think it's so easy for us to say that we need all these rules and that people should do all this stuff, when we can't see their point of view at all. I just hope that I am never put in the same position that they are.

Btw, I also realize that not all immigrants or illegals are in a similar situation to what I mentioned above. I assume that most illegals are in some type of situation like that, but I have no factual evidence to base this on.

Why is it so hard for some people to get a green card? Look at Kristina. She's already studied in the US and she's a bright person who could contribute in positive ways to American society. She's already married to an American, so just let her get her stuff together and let's be done with it.

VERY well said Lauren.....I agree with everything you said!
  7. Jenny_J
    Well I'm definitely for the law. IMO Back in the days people wanted to come here and make a better life for themselves and they wanted to be americans. Nowadays they're just coming here trying to turn the US into their country. Poverish and out of control
  8. happygirl0486
    Ok here are MY feelings about this and I'm sorry in advance if I say something that hurts someone’s feelings.

I think people NEED to learn ENGLISH I am tired of going to places and getting looked at funny because I don't know Spanish. I think people should be able to come here legally following the law (this applies to anyone from any county that comes here). I think is America doesn’t apply its boarder laws and lets anyone from any country in without checking to see if they are criminals, or terrorists then we are leaving our country open to another attack. The people from any county that just want to live here and have a right to do so.
  9. uscgwife05
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl0486
    Ok here are MY feelings about this and I'm sorry in advance if I say something that hurts someone’s feelings.

I think people NEED to learn ENGLISH I am tired of going to places and getting looked at funny because I don't know Spanish. I think people should be able to come here legally following the law (this applies to anyone from any county that comes here). I think is America doesn’t apply its boarder laws and lets anyone from any country in without checking to see if they are criminals, or terrorists then we are leaving our country open to another attack. The people from any county that just want to live here and have a right to do so.

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diverlindsey
    That's fine if it has an effect but I don't get the issue...They are ILLEGAL.... it's not just them doing meanial jobs.... it's that they get healthcare and schooling for their kids....but no taxes are paid.... Just do it legally and I could care less..... Walking out for a day isn't going to do anything.... but hey if that's what you want to do to make a statement go for it....

Hey here's my idea lets get all the marajuania smokers and stage a walk out to legalize Marajuania..... (i'm only up for it for medicinal purposes) it's an Illegal drug....Wahoo...Who's with me
    I'm with ya....
    I dont we should kick anyone out BUT we do need stricter laws....My mom fought to come to this country and stay. She HAD to SPEAK ENGLISH and pass tests on American History. No days people do not have to do that theri is no pride in where we live. My county pays extra taxes which support health care for illegal immigrants...but not those who are down on their luck.
    NICE.
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415