Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Navy wife charged in baby's death(update)

1. Senior Member

Navy wife charged in baby's death(update)

Advertisements
    she actually got charged today and i am so happy...i hope she is found guilty and spends her life in prison..and yes i might be harsh but what she did is unimaginable..

PORT ORCHARD, Wash. -- A 21-year-old Navy wife accused of fatally neglecting her 18-month-old daughter, then storing her body for weeks in a garbage bag, is being charged with second degree murder, with four special circumstances: domestic violence, deliberate cruelty, particularly vulnerable victim and position of trust.

If found guilty Rhoades could face a maximum of life in prison. The prosecutor says Rhoades husband will not be charged with anything based on the information now available.

Richeal M. Rhoades was arrested Monday for investigation of manslaughter and booked into the Kitsap County jail. Prosecutors said charges would likely be filed Thursday and could include second-degree murder, manslaughter or criminal mistreatment.

The woman moved to the Jackson Park Naval Housing Area in Bremerton in August as her sailor husband Michael Rhoades prepared to leave from Kings Bay, Ga., aboard the USS Maine, a Trident submarine that was reassigned to a base at Bangor, near Bremerton.

According to documents filed in Kitsap County Superior Court, she waived her rights and made a statement to Naval Criminal Investigative Service officers. She described a steadily worsening depression, which led her to do the bare minimum for her two children, 18-month-old Brenda and Michael, age 3. She described letting the little boy make his own snacks and get his own water by climbing a step stool to reach the kitchen sink.

Eventually, according to court papers, the woman said she was giving Brenda only about 3 eight-ounce bottles of milk per day, with no solid food, and changing her diaper only once a day.

A week before Thanksgiving, the woman said, she left the window open all night in the little girl's room to air out the stench of dirty diapers, then found the child had a 102-degree temperature the next day.

She told investigators she found Brenda dead in her room after leaving the baby alone for 40 to 44 hours. She estimated that was a few days before Thanksgiving, according to court papers. She told investigators she ate Thanksgiving Dinner with neighbors, telling them Brenda was sick and staying with friends.

Instead of reporting the death, she put the child's body in a black plastic garbage bag, along with some dirty diapers, and left it in the child's bedroom until last Friday. Realizing her husband would be arriving soon, she put the bagged body into a box and taped it shut, setting it on the porch.

Her husband's submarine arrived Sunday at Bangor, and he apparently learned of the baby's death that night, although authorities weren't notified until Monday, the papers said.

An autopsy has been completed, but no results were released Tuesday.

The 3-year-old boy was placed in protective custody.

"This is sad," Navy spokesman Tom Danaher said. "It's a serious concern of ours and we're -- we're perplexed."

ALSO-here is another article about it on another news station..i didn't want to actually post this one because it is very graphic. i am still crying and i read it about 20 min ago..so open at your own risk
    http://www.komotv.com/stories/40787.htm
    Last edited by amy24cali; 12-16-2005 at 02:39 AM.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    What is the worst thing is that she could have WALKED to the hospitak to get help for het daughter...
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  3. Senior Member
    well in the komo link i just posted, she explains why she didn't go to the hospital..god i so hope she doesn't get off with an insanity plea..yes she's fucked up but she needs to pay for this..it is like she has no remorse whatsoever
  4. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    That absolutely breaks my heart. I didn't open the KOMO link, the story itself is enough for me. There's no excuse for not going to the hospital, no excuse for child neglect. I can't believe anyone could be so cruel. That poor poor baby. I think of my baby girl and I just wish someone would have been there to help that poor baby in this case. I just can't imagine it. How heartless can you be?? If she's not insane (which she MUST be), I hope she gets the death penalty. Screw life in prison. She doesn't deserve to live in the first place.
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  5. ITCartersWife
    Ugh! It makes my sick to my stomach reading that! I just don't understand how people can treat children like that. I will never understand.
  6. mamaoftwins+1
    omg thats horriabl and she should rot in jail! this is what i dont get the dad found out on a friday or so and the police were not notified righ away???? wtf he should go to jail too for not reporting it! im sorry but if i was him id be on the phone asap!! but she waitied until monday!!!! that poor poor baby! what a bich i hope she burns in hell
  7. Jenny_J
  8. Toni
    That is so sad!!
  9. asailorswife
    being a navy wife can be hard but she has major issue's to have done that horriable thing !
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I just read the komo news story and am in tears and hugging my son extra hard. How sad is that. I cannot believe that and it actually turns my tummy.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast