Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Navy wife charged in baby's death(update)

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse Girl
    Why are we operating under the assuption that the woman was depressed? Did I miss that in an article somewhere (seriously, I didn't read the KOMO article)? The baby was a year and a freakin half old, it's not as if she was just delivered. Yes, we all miss our husbands when they're out to sea, but that's no excuse to neglect and kill our children.
    Yeah the komo link does say she was depressed. She says she was growing more detatched from her kids as her depression grew. While I do know depression is a real and serious thing, I also think it is used too lightly for situations like this. The fact that she gave her child childrens aspirin shows she was coherent and did know right from wrong. Did know her kid needed to be taken care of. But failed to do so. Do I think she was depressed? More then likely. But I also think she was more aware of what she was doing then what is thought. But thats just me...
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse Girl
    Why are we operating under the assuption that the woman was depressed? Did I miss that in an article somewhere (seriously, I didn't read the KOMO article)? The baby was a year and a freakin half old, it's not as if she was just delivered. Yes, we all miss our husbands when they're out to sea, but that's no excuse to neglect and kill our children.
    It did state that she was depressed in one of the articles. Post Partum Depression varies from person to person and in how extreme it effects each person. What she is actually dealing with is post partum psychosis. No I'm not a doctor but I've been there and understand more of her situation I guess. With out help it doesn't go away and only gets worse with each pregnancy/birth. yes her child was 18 months old but she also had an 18 month old when she got pregnant with the second child. She may have already had PPD and then with the second pregnancy slipped into the PP Psychosis. Neglecting our children is not ok but when you are in this state of mind you know it is wrong but the thoughts you are having are not right either and you don't know how to respond to them.

For those that have had no experience with any of this here is some explanation...
    What is the difference between “baby blues,”postpartum depression, and postpartum psychosis?
    The baby blues can happen in the days right after childbirth and normally go away within a few days to a week. A new mother can have sudden mood swings, sadness, crying spells, loss of appetite, sleeping problems, and feel irritable, restless, anxious, and lonely. Symptoms are not severe and treatment isn’t needed. But there are things you can do to feel better. Nap when the baby does. Ask for help from your spouse, family members, and friends. Join a support group of new moms or talk with other moms.

Postpartum depression can happen anytime within the first year after childbirth. A woman may have a number of symptoms such as sadness, lack of energy, trouble concentrating, anxiety, and feelings of guilt and worthlessness. The difference between postpartum depression and the baby blues is that postpartum depression often affects a woman’s well-being and keeps her from functioning well for a longer period of time. Postpartum depression needs to be treated by a doctor. Counseling, support groups, and medicines are things that can help.

Postpartum psychosis is rare. It occurs in 1 or 2 out of every 1000 births and usually begins in the first 6 weeks postpartum. Women who have bipolar disorder or another psychiatric problem called schizoaffective disorder have a higher risk for developing postpartum psychosis. Symptoms may include delusions, hallucinations, sleep disturbances, and obsessive thoughts about the baby. A woman may have rapid mood swings, from depression to irritability to euphoria.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaymara
    Yeah the komo link does say she was depressed. She says she was growing more detatched from her kids as her depression grew. While I do know depression is a real and serious thing, I also think it is used too lightly for situations like this. The fact that she gave her child childrens aspirin shows she was coherent and did know right from wrong. Did know her kid needed to be taken care of. But failed to do so. Do I think she was depressed? More then likely. But I also think she was more aware of what she was doing then what is thought. But thats just me...
    When you have Post Partum Depression to the degree that it becomes phychosis you loose some of your coherency. That's why I said in my first response that her reality is blurred.
  4. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for being so informative on this issue. I never would have even known there was a difference between PPD and PPP. I do remember the Brook Shields thing on Oprah. I still believe that if she is found to be sane, she should suffer the death penalty. I do not, however, see her being found sane in the first place.

ETA: just for clarity, gotcurls, are you saying that because she had PPD or PPP you think her actions were justified? Or are you simply stating that she is a very ill woman and needs help rather than death?
    Last edited by Becca; 12-19-2005 at 09:53 AM.
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  5. Senior Member
    I'm not justifing her actions, just stating that she is ill. It is a mental illness...compare it to bipolar disease if you want...it's not the same but it's something you don't understand unless you live it. She needs medical attention not just death.

eta...I just want to get the word out more about PPD because it is a fairly new thing. I think just within the last 10-15 years it has become more of an open discussion.

the world has changed so much...women used to have babies in hospitals and then go home to families with extended family members there to help...that is not the norm in the military world and more so in civilian world now.
    Last edited by gotcurls; 12-19-2005 at 10:02 AM.
  6. Breezy
    Very well said Brook.
    I agree if sane the Death penalty is justifiable but I understand the depression part as I have been there.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234