Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: should age of consent be lowered?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

should age of consent be lowered?

Advertisements
    this is another debate that also comes up in class that i find interesting
    Thoughts?

Here's an article from that debate website that i so much
    http://www.idebate.org/debatabase/to...hp?topicID=299

Everyday you spend worrying about tomorrow...you miss living for today...
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure how I feel about this one.
    I was only 17 when I met my now fiance, and he was 22. We had sex. If my parents had decided to hate him, I guess they could have thrown him in jail. That would have been really, really bad...especially since we were in love and he did nothing wrong.
    So, if I were to speak from that end of things, I'd say yes...lower the consent age. (I'm not sure what it is in Ohio, I'm assuming 18 here).
    On the other hand...there are plenty of times that younger adults or older teenagers, however you look at them/us...have sex with older men at parties, drunk, or when under immense pressure but are not actually 'forced' and therefor can not sometimes label it 'rape' or press charges. So I would want to say, no, leave the age whatever it is.
    I'm just not sure.
    I'm not educated enough on this topic to debate it, but, there's my point of view.
  3. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    age of consent varies by state anyway. The only time it doesn't matter on the state level is when it is the military, they don't care if you aren't 18 you are a minor. So I am not sure what you mean by lowering the age of consent.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    age of consent varies by state anyway. The only time it doesn't matter on the state level is when it is the military, they don't care if you aren't 18 you are a minor. So I am not sure what you mean by lowering the age of consent.
    I guess i should clarify..age of consent (i know it varies from state to state) is usually (i believe correct if i'm wrong) but about 16 or greater than 3 years difference if the person is under 18. So if a 16 year old had sex with a 19 year old that would be considered rape. Or if a 14 year old had sex with a 16 year old the 16 year old could be in trouble cause legally the 14 year old under the consent laws could not legally consent...

so since many kids are being much more sexually active younger should we lower the age of consent?

IDK am i making it any clearer..? I might be making it more muddy it's late and i'm tired sorry..

Everyday you spend worrying about tomorrow...you miss living for today...
  5. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by cloren1317 View Post
    I guess i should clarify..age of consent (i know it varies from state to state) is usually (i believe correct if i'm wrong) but about 16 or greater than 3 years difference if the person is under 18. So if a 16 year old had sex with a 19 year old that would be considered rape. Or if a 14 year old had sex with a 16 year old the 16 year old could be in trouble cause legally the 14 year old under the consent laws could not legally consent...

IDK am i making it any clearer..?
    ok I get what you are saying.. and no it shouldn't be lowered. at those ages ( under 16 especially) that you are capable of making a decision like that. Hell even at 16 I don't think you can make that kind of choice. especially when it comes to sex.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

6. Happy little tree
    Happy little tree
    I think by lowering the age of consent, we'd just be encouraging younger sexual activity even more. Just because it's happening more doesn't mean we should make it legal. I think other courses of action should be taken to help REDUCE underage sexual activity instead of just making it OK. That's side-stepping the issue instead of attempting to remedy it.

Keep up with all of our adventures with renovating a 1960s ranch house - check out MY BLOG!

7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I think this would be a very touchy subject...
    As someone who willfully had sex at 16 after thinking about it and discussing if for a long time (its 18 in wisc) with my boyfriend who was 18... i think that YES it should be lowered.

HOWEVER

As a future parent, I worry about other people who werent so knowledgeable about sex and knowing themselves as well as i did. I know that if my son or daughter had sex without really thinking about it (although i would hope i have taught them better) and then regretted it or had something bad come of it... i would have a problem

This is of course speaking in terms of COMPLETE consent. i say this because i worry that if the age of consent (i am only speaking in terms of wisconsin as it is 18 here) is lowered, people might forget our rules of consent beyond just age.
    In wisconsin, if you are under the influence of alchohol you can NOT legally consent to sex. A lot of people already dont realize this resulting in complicated rape cases because the "rapist" didnt realize the "rapee" would feel raped. ('but they SAID yes' ... because of issues like that, they decided that you arent in a good mental state to understand what you are consenting to)
    Yes, there are plenty of cases where the rapist PURPOSELY got them drunk (or spiked their drink with drugs) TO rape them, so i am not speaking about that.

I think in the long run i would feel better if the age of consent remains at 18. This way, minors dont need to worry about consent with alcohol and such.... because there will ALWAYS be parties and teenagers drinking too much... and i would hate for rape issues to get mixed into that.

as a side note, i believe that if both parties are under 18, they can BOTH be charged with statutory rape here in wisc. it all depends on the parents and how close to 18 they are... i dont exactly remember though.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
    I think by lowering the age of consent, we'd just be encouraging younger sexual activity even more. Just because it's happening more doesn't mean we should make it legal. I think other courses of action should be taken to help REDUCE underage sexual activity instead of just making it OK. That's side-stepping the issue instead of attempting to remedy it.
    This could be true. But there are SO many kids out there that try things simply BECAUSE they are illegal to do. I.E. drinking, smoking pot, smoking cigarettes under 18..
    Sometimes people who professionally debate these things use that as a point of view. (Example-the argument is up and about that lowering the drinking age would actually cause less teenagers to drink, because the thrill of secretly partying would be gone.)
    KWIM?
    I had sex at 15. I drank and smoked pot right afterwards. It is like it all came together...then I got raped. Everything is SO confusing and tied together...I really just don't think everything will really be right, no matter what the law says.
  9. Happy little tree
    Happy little tree
    Quote Originally Posted by KelsEllie View Post
    This could be true. But there are SO many kids out there that try things simply BECAUSE they are illegal to do. I.E. drinking, smoking pot, smoking cigarettes under 18..
    Sometimes people who professionally debate these things use that as a point of view. (Example-the argument is up and about that lowering the drinking age would actually cause less teenagers to drink, because the thrill of secretly partying would be gone.)
    KWIM?
    I had sex at 15. I drank and smoked pot right afterwards. It is like it all came together...then I got raped. Everything is SO confusing and tied together...I really just don't think everything will really be right, no matter what the law says.
    I've heard that argument many many times. It could go both ways. The thrill could be gone, so less indulgences and rebellion would take place, OR the ones who were holding back in the first place BECAUSE of the law would suddenly start doing the things that we really don't want them doing to begin with. I think there's a trade-off there.

The point I'm trying to make is that instead of legalizing things just because it may take away the "thrill" or because so many kids are sexually active at a younger age....we should try to REMEDY the problem instead of side-stepping the major issue of WHY kids are becoming more sexually active at an increasingly younger age. Legalizing it and forgetting about it seems the "easy way out" to me...so that the government doesn't have to deal with educational and intervention programs for younger sexually active kids.

Keep up with all of our adventures with renovating a 1960s ranch house - check out MY BLOG!

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
    I agree! Also, if it was like lowered to, say 14- Most 14 year olds I know are no where near capable of being mothers (or fathers!) I'm not saying none are (I hope I haven't offended anyone...) But if the age were to get lowered and more KIDS were having sex- that increases more teen pregnancies (Don't get me wrong, I was technically a teen pregnancy- I had DD right before I turned 20) It would just be to risky!!
    LOVIN' MY LIFE AS A MOM AND A WIFE!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast