Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Breast Feeding-the pro's and con's.

1. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Breast Feeding-the pro's and con's.

Advertisements
    Alright, so most of you know I'm going to be a first time mother, come lovely June.
    While my mom has had 5 of us, myself being the oldest, and the youngest being my 8 year old brother, I just don't want ALL of my advice to come from her. My future/possible MIL is INSANITY at it's worst, so I'm not asking her for anything, either.
    I've been reading up, researching while I can, and asking around to other mothers what they FEEL the pro's and con's to breast feeding are.
    I have a few specifics to ask.
    1) I read that breastfeeding can lower the risk and even prevent childhood leukemia and type 1 diabetes.
    2) American Academy of Pediatrics recommends exclusively breastfeeding for the first 6 months. I, however, doubt that many of them had sore nipples and a job to tend to daily.
    So, ladies, what are YOUR thoughts on breastfeeding? Your thoughts on not breast feeding? Please, do tell me anything and everything you feel. I am not biased either way, as I have never tried it before.

Discuss!!!
  2. Senior Member
    I never had a sink full of bottles
  3. Senior Member
    I was never breast fed and I have the worst immune system in the world.
    But everyone I know who was breast fed are all pretty healthy. And even if they do catch something, it's gone really quick.
    So I think it's a good plan.
    =
    HE'S HOME!
  4. Senior Member
    I did it for 3 weeks until it was apparently that Lydia was not doing well with it (she was getting quantity but the quality was lacking unfortunately). Honestly, after 3 weeks of the lactation nazi, pumping or feeding every hour and worrying myself sick because DD wasn't gaining weight, I was relieved to go to formula feeding.

I think it's wonderful though and I really wish I had been able to keep up with it with Lydia. I will be trying again with this baby but I know better now that I will probably have to supplement and not be so stubborn about making it work.

Oh, and I was not breastfed myself (my mother was sick when I was born and she was diagnosed with cancer when I was 6 months old, so that's probably for the better) and I have always been super healthy and mostly smart
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Those are good points, girls. (The not having a sink full of bottles calls to me more than an immune system, so I'm clearly already a horrible mother.)
  6. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    I BF DD because it was free. No bottles required. No worrying about taking formula where ever we go. It's easy and convenient. I BF her for 12 months with a part time job, so it can be done!

another pro is your baby will get antibodies from you and that means you have a healthier baby!

cons:
    it does hurt for many for the first week, sometimes longer
    clogged ducts
    engorgement
    if you're big on privacy, you might not feel comfortable BFing in public

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KelsEllie View Post
    Those are good points, girls. (The not having a sink full of bottles calls to me more than an immune system, so I'm clearly already a horrible mother.)
    Noooooo... It means that you would have more free time to interact with your baby!
  8. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

With ODS I had to pump cause he couldn't suck, I pumped for 3 months and was soo tired, I couldn't do it any more. With YDS I breast fed for 4 months and then he just started sucking soo hard, it hurt and he was nearly drawing blood (it was like big hickies on my nipples). I do believe in breastfeeding but don't let anyone tell you how long you should do it for, just do it for how ever long you feel comfortable. I know a girl that only breastfed her kids for their first month cause she felt uncomfortable with a baby sucking on her boob.
    My SIL had a baby last month and she just didn't produse any milk, She tried to feed, but just had nothing.

9. Darushka
    You never have to listen to your baby freaking out crying waiting for a bottle. You just pull up your shirt, and it's warm and ready to go.
  10. Senior Member
    Fort Lewis, staying in MI until the baby comes
    I have read up on it too and I am completely for it. If you are working it doesn't mean the baby has to go without your milk, invest in a REALLY good breast pump and use a bottle. My sister is a paramedic and works 24 hr shifts. She only "breast" fed for the first 9 weeks and after that pumped and gave my niece a bottle.
Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast