Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is it so expensive to "save the planet"?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Why is it so expensive to "save the planet"?

Advertisements
    Local organic food is more expensive.

hybrid cars are (sometimes) more expensive.

energy saving light bulbs are more expensive.

organic clothing is more expensive.

seriously, if saving the planet is so important then why is it so damn expensive?

I'm actually honestly curious...is there something I am overlooking besides anything that might save you whole *gasp* $5 ()...... eventually?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I always wondered that too!

It's why I don't really do anything to "save the planet" cause I can't afford it
  3. Senior Member
    Seriously! I completely agree. I buy organic milk and it runs $3.99 for a half gallon. I also like to buy clothing made from hemp and bamboo but also, run into the problem of expenses. Honestly, I think the cost is one main reason people are driven from buying organic produce, clothing, and energy saving items. Sad but true.
  4. Senior Member
    http://www.theorganicreport.com/page...ng_organic.cfm

http://www.organicfoodee.com/sense/tooexpensive.html

http://www.kushtush.com/organiccost.htm

There are a few articles that explain things pretty well. It makes sense, but still sucks for those that can't afford the increased price.
  5. Senior Member
    Because pesticides and hormones are the easy way. To grow food without that takes more work (and more cows). But, if the demand gets high enough and the supply can keep up, prices should lower.
    I worship individuals for their highest possibilities as individuals, and I loathe humanity, for its failures to live up to these possibilities.
  6. La Xicana
    La Xicana
    Blog Entries
    Its all about supply and demand. Not sure if many of you have noticed, but organic food are going down in price. Many supermarkets are even carrying their own brand of organic foods. However, the demand is still not high enough for them to have larger supplies. The more people buy these things, the more the price will go down. It is unfortunate but the way I see it, its all about priorities. Like its more important to me to buy natural foods and supplies, than say maybe buying other stuff. So its about what's important to you, and how you choose to spend your money ya know? I had this discussion with someone yesterday. It was mentioned how much money I spend on food. Well to me its justifiable, because I care very much what goes into my body and what I eat, so I don't mind spending the amount of money that I do. But I don't care so much about other stuff, like maybe going out to eat a lot, or going out to do other stuff. So I compromise some expenses to get the things that really matter to me.
  7. Senior Member
    A lot of it too (hybrids, CFL lightbulbs etc.) are the initial investment too. The light bulbs last 7 years as well and save you money on electricity. Reg. light bulbs last about 6 months depending on how often you use the light. There's also other things you can do, just reuse the plastic bags you already have, you don't have to buy canvas ones, and a lot of stores offer you a nickel or so per bag off your bill, I know, not a lot right away but it could add up, just like coupons each time. I dunno, to me it's worth it, every little bit helps.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    because the only way they can get us to buy the "new more expensive" product is to scare us into it... Americans do not like change....
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    its more expensive because of what it takes to produce it
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    well, the light bulbs. I refuse to EVER buy those. I can handle about 5 minutes with one on before the migraines start.

The rest, I dont really worry about. I recycle my plastic bags, cardboard, plastic containers.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast