Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For those who don't agree with paid maternity leave...

1. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries

For those who don't agree with paid maternity leave...

Advertisements
    What do you think about the extra chunk of change parents get back from taxes, and will be getting back from this new tax refund?

I know there is a key difference in whose paying - companies or insurance vs. the government.

But Brandi (sorry to call you out girlie, hope you don't mind) had pointed out that if the government paid for maternity leave, she wouldn't agree with that either because it's similar to welfare. (If I'm paraphrasing incorrectly, please let me know so I can fix it!)

That made me wonder, how many people who don't agree with paid maternity leave think it's cool that the government taxes parents less? How many think it's unfair for people without children to pay more taxes?

Me personally, I'm happy to get any amount back, but at the same time, I see having children as a personal choice, and I don't really understand why the government needs to bolster your income if you make plenty already? In the big picture, I don't see how it's fair to make someone without children pay more taxes then someone who makes the exact same amount, but has kids. And when you consider all the tax money that goes to programs for children, well to me, that makes it seem even more backwards.

That's not to say I disagree with it, I just don't understand it. So for those who disagree with paid maternity leave since it's not anyone's business but the parents' that they had a kid, I'd like to hear what you think about the government cutting the same parents a tax break.
  2. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Pardon my typo in the title... grr I hate when I do that.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, I don't EXPECT the extra tax money. Sure, it's nice when we get it, but I certainly don't expect it and don't even necessarily think it's fair. I don't understand why we get more at tax time, other than the fact that parents (generally speaking, I think) usually put WAY more taxes into the government's pocket for crap through out the year. I don't expect it though, by any means.
  4. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    Honestly, I don't EXPECT the extra tax money. Sure, it's nice when we get it, but I certainly don't expect it and don't even necessarily think it's fair. I don't understand why we get more at tax time, other than the fact that parents (generally speaking, I think) usually put WAY more taxes into the government's pocket for crap through out the year. I don't expect it though, by any means.
    Coming from a clueless person with no kids, I don't know what you mean by the bolded part. Not trying to sound snotty, but I really don't know how parents put more taxes into the government's pocket. Do you mean through things like sales tax because you have to buy more stuff?
  5. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    I've never understood how you can get more taxes back than you put in. I'm tax dense.

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    Coming from a clueless person with no kids, I don't know what you mean by the bolded part. Not trying to sound snotty, but I really don't know how parents put more taxes into the government's pocket. Do you mean through things like sales tax because you have to buy more stuff?
    Yeah, that's essentially what I meant. I think people without kids generally have more savings and probably do not spend as much through out the year, just totally in general. I honestly have no idea, but that's the only justification I can see for why they government would do it. Otherwise, I don't have a clue
  7. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    Yeah, that's essentially what I meant. I think people without kids generally have more savings and probably do not spend as much through out the year, just totally in general. I honestly have no idea, but that's the only justification I can see for why they government would do it. Otherwise, I don't have a clue
    That makes sense, that as a parent you have to spend more money and therefore pay more sales tax - but isn't that all going to the state?
  8. Senior Member
    I personally think it is rediculous that we don't get MORE for mat leave here in the states. New mothers in Canada get a YEAR off, paid. And whatever the mother doesn't use the father is welcome to use. I think it is SAD that I have to return to work after just 16 weeks, which is 10 weeks longer than most women get.

As for tax rebates and such. Generally speaking, I think people with children put more money out, which is why they get more money back. I don't disagree with it at all.
    Needs work.
  9. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    but sales tax funds the state, not on a federal level. And unless you claim single on your w-4 you usually pay less tax throughout the year from your pay.
    And I beg to differ on those without kids not spending as much. I have childless friends and they actually spend more then we do because their other expense are less. ( food, clothes, school supplies)

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

10. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    Quote Originally Posted by FTCWifey View Post
    As for tax rebates and such. Generally speaking, I think people with children put more money out, which is why they get more money back. I don't disagree with it at all.
    But don't you sometimes get more than you paid in? I don't get that part.

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast