Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Random drug testing and welfare benefits

1. Banned
    Banned

Random drug testing and welfare benefits

Advertisements
    Should random drug testing be allowed as a requisite for receiving welfare benefits? If so, should it be "one strike, you're out" or should drug counseling be given with the understanding that any future failed test would result in loss of benefits?
    This was one topic of discussion on the local talk radio program this morning. Apparently there was an effort in Michigan to pass just such a policy not too long ago. The ACLU became involved (apparently doing drugs is a civil liberty??? - okay, in all seriousness, I understand they argued on the basis of invasion of privacy) and in the end the state actually ended up having to pay a judgement.
    What do YOU think? Is it unfair to require being drug free to receive welfare?
  2. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries
    Yes!

My little Loves!
  3. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    I'm not sure. part of me says yes, but then I am worried about even more gov't in our lives. as for the one strike you are out I don't think so, if most employers have to give you a chance to get clean then so should the gov't. I'll have to get back on this one.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

4. Banned
    Banned
    I dislike druggies in general so sure, test and take away the kids and the benefits.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    yes
  6. .x.MiSS.LADi.x.
    I think they should get random drug tests! b/c idk about where you ladies are, But in Frederick- People who really need help cant get it b/c all these druggies are getting help...Cash asst. and using it for drugs and alcohol

I think if they fail the test their benefits should be took away til they can pass a test!
  7. ahimsa
    ahimsa
    If the mother does drugs does that make her children somehow unworthy of eating? First, I don't believe drugs should be illegal. Second, I believe all poor people deserve help. Third, I don't think its fair to punish the children because the mom does drugs.

I also believe that using drugs is a medical condition and if we are going to test for it we should be doing it not to PUNISH the person, but to HELP them.
    It's Halloween so.... you know, BOO!
  8. ash
    i love the red sox
    i love the red sox
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely NOT.

What about the children who are on the recieving end of their parents food stamps? So their life probably sucks bad enough as their parents are pot heads (or worse) you take food and other benefits from the parents, you take it from children.

In most states those with a felony drug arrest you CANNOT get welfare until you undergo a cessation and prevention course.
    this is like a bad movie, and i'd give it a 5 on my netflix
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have zero tolerance for drug use especially when they want govt. help...we should make sure that money is not going to the wrong place!
  10. .x.MiSS.LADi.x.
    Quote Originally Posted by vivalacrap View Post
    If the mother does drugs does that make her children somehow unworthy of eating? First, I don't believe drugs should be illegal. Second, I believe all poor people deserve help. Third, I don't think its fair to punish the children because the mom does drugs.

I also believe that using drugs is a medical condition and if we are going to test for it we should be doing it not to PUNISH the person, but to HELP them.
    they can receive food stamps...that are ONLY allowed to be used to buy food...

But giving Cash asst (basically a debit card) to a druggie
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast