Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spin off from 'Disappointed'

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Spin off from 'Disappointed'

Advertisements
    I didn't want to thread jack and I am hoping this will stay nice so I am putting it in Debates but a comment by MissJasmin rather upset me. Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by MissJasmin25 View Post
    I totally understand where you are coming from. It's not a degree vs no degree, it is an educated person vs an uneducated person.

I will have my PhD by the time my husband is out of the marines... if he doesnt go to school while he's in..he will have nothing. We will be on two different levels, there will be no balance. I will have a very proffesional job, and he will get whatever job he can get...that isn't good. A good marriage is about comprimises yes, but it's also about two people contributing to the common goal. If my husband didn't WANT to go to school I don't know how attracted I would be to him...i want someone who cares about their education, not someone who is lazy and doesn't want to put in the work. My husband is a military man and is kept busy and deploys, but don't think for one second that I don't push him constantly to continue his education.

I want kids, and I want both of us to contribute to our kids

the more your parents are educated the more likely you will educate yourselves. I want my kids to go to college, so DH and I are both going to college.
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  2. Senior Member
    For someone who is so concerned with education and being perceived as intelligent, the idea of that statement is one of the least intelligent I have come across in a while.
  3. Loving My Navy Veteran
    Loving My Navy Veteran
    I want my husband to do what makes him happy. If at this stage of his life he wasn't open to continuing his education, I would be ok with that. You should not force education upon your spouse.

DH has an AA degree. He has not show any interest in going back to college to further his education beyond that . Have I talked to him about it in the past, yes. Have I pushed him, No. NOW, he is WANTING to go back to college to get his A&P License, as well as pursue a degree in Aviation Management, or Aerospace Engineering. When he told me this, I was blown away. I think people need to come into their own, in their own time.

I have my A.S. Degree in Business Administration and I would like to go back to school to get my Bachelor's Degree, but I know that I'm not ready for that right now. Will I eventually go back, more than likely yes. My DH does not push me into doing it right now at all.
  4. Senior Member
    Education does not neccesarily equal intelligence.Some of the smartest people I ever met never went to college.I also disagree very much about how she thinks if she has a PHd,and he doesn't continue his education,"they will be on two different levels." Personally,I don't care how much my SO makes or how much education they have.That's not what makes a healthy relatonship/marriage.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have my bachelors and fully intend to get my masters and possibly my doctorate...but i LOVE school and I love learning!! Db has finished a few semesters at a junior college working towards his graphic design degree, and if he decides when he gets out that he doesn't want to pursue that, then I am definitly okay with that...I want him to be happy with what he does...plus alot of times being in the military and the jobs they do can help them get great jobs! I love my Db NO MATTER what!!!

EDIT: DB may not have finished school yet, but he is one of the most intelligent men I know...so I disagree that if you have an education and he doesn't that it will put you on two different levels..
  6. mn_princess
    That doesn't sit right with me. The DB is going to go back to school after he gets out in a few years. Just because he's not going to go to school while he's in doesn't mean that he's going to have nothing. He wants be a detective someday. But while I'm getting my PhD, he's going to be working as a state trooper. I mean, I'm going to be a physical therapist someday, and those jobs are on different levels too.

Idk, I guess what I'm trying to say is that, yes I do want my DB to go to college, but I also want him to be happy. And if that means getting a job where he doesn't go to college, I'm going to support him.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Wow. Marriage is a partnership, not a dominance game. >_< This woman is not intelligent, and honestly, I don't see how her husband puts up with her. Military men can usually get jobs, and good ones because they have learned their trade. If women want their men to have an education over their military career, they should chill. My bf only gets to take 2 classes every 8 weeks and he's two classes away from getting his Associate. He has been in the AF for two years, and in school for four.
  8. only person you can save, is yourself
    only person you can save, is yourself
    i'm in college now and DF never really thought of going to college, but i think he's way more intelligent than me. he knows way more than i do and i'm on a college level now. also, school just isn't for some people, but it does not mean that they are "uneducated" maybe they want to do something else. there are jobs that make just as much money as people who go to college for.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I forgot to add my own thoughts aside from saying that it upset me. lol I personally feel that it is a very ignorant statement to make. Just because someone does not have a BA/BS, MA/MS or a PhD does not make them any less intelligent. There are so many reasons why someone might choose not to go to college. Financial reasons, family members to take care of and so many others. Also, there are many successful people out there who have a great career and/or a great life without their degree in anything. So to say that no degree equals uneducated is in itself a very uneducated and ignorant statement.
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  10. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

Ahh...what to say.....other than "ouch".....Sounds as if she doesn't give him much credit for anything, almost as if she can't visualize the education his is earning/learning while active duty. Her comments scream "holier than thou" which made me cringe. Now, granted her marriage might just work that way...so to each his own.

And then there is Book Smarts vs Common Sense That debate could be discussed until the cows come home.....

Personally I would never de-value my husband and his accomplishments just to justify my own beliefs but that's just me....
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast