Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 8% of American New Moms get Paid Maternity Leave...

1. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries

8% of American New Moms get Paid Maternity Leave...

Advertisements
    That's Sad.

My little Loves!
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    EXTREMELY SAD!!!!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I've never quite understood why it's the company's responsibility to pay you salary when you have a baby though I can understand having to hold your job for 6 weeks or whatever, but I don't understand the concept of getting PAID maternity leave.
  4. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries
    Alot of women, 6 weeks without pay could devistate their family financially.

My little Loves!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by parkwoodmom View Post
    Alot of women, 6 weeks without pay could devistate their family financially.
    Not sure how that is the company's responsibility though. I do get what you're saying, I guess I just don't understand how that makes a company bad if they say it's not their responsibility.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Ok well look at it this way. When our dh's take their "maternity leave" to be with us after we have the baby they STILL GET PAID! How bad would it hurt us if they took the money out of their pay for the days they had off while they were home?

I mean I understand what you are trying to say.

Im just saying that not getting paid maternity leave could really hurt money wise right?
  7. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    What's sad is that in European countries, new moms get help for a year, as in monetary help, same in Canada and Australia. We are the only industrialized nation that doesn't do some kind of government program for a year for new mothers. 12 weeks just isn't enough.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by froglove View Post
    Ok well look at it this way. When our dh's take their "maternity leave" to be with us after we have the baby they STILL GET PAID! How bad would it hurt us if they took the money out of their pay for the days they had off while they were home?

I mean I understand what you are trying to say.

Im just saying that not getting paid maternity leave could really hurt money wise right?
    Right, but paid paternity is NOT common in the civi world. Our husbands are actually EXTREMELY lucky that they get that time off and I think it's mostly b/c military families are usually in a situation where no family is around, a lot of people are overseas, etc. You made one of my points though... aside from the military, I don't know of any companies that pay for the man to take off 6 weeks and get paid for it. So, I don't see why women can.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Oh ya right it isnt common. Honestly that is kinda sad especially if she is the bread winner.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I got paid maternity leave when I had my youngest child, but I paid into a temporary disability fund which was for that purpose. I also had to use all my regular vacation and sick time before I could get temp disability, which was 3/4 of my regular pay for something like 3 weeks, then was reduced to 1/2 for 3 weeks. I am all for programs like that, where there is personal contribution, but to leave it up to the taxpayers to foot the bill is wrong, IMO.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast