Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: s/o of curious about Atheists

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

s/o of curious about Atheists

Advertisements
    I'm curious about believers...

Where you raised a certain religion? Did something happen to make you "see the light"?

Do you not see the contradictions in the bible? and if you do, do you not care?

Do you follow the bible blindly? or do you question any of it? Have you ever questioned whether you're on the right path?
  2. Senior Member
    Ooooh, good questions.
  3. Happy little tree
    Happy little tree
    Where you raised a certain religion? I was raised Christian by my parents and family, went to church every Sunday, Sunday school, youth group, etc...until I got to my last few years of high school and I quit going, and my Faith faltered, though I still believed in God.

Did something happen to make you "see the light"?
    Once I got to college, instead of going crazy and partying like many people, I realized how miserable I had become and I realized I needed a change. My heart told me that I needed my Faith again. I needed to give myself up to God. I prayed and prayed on this. I prayed for life, love, happiness, myself, my Faith, everything. The very next day after my "epiphany" of realizing I needed God, I met my DH. My DH was attending a Christian college and knew much about religion, Christianity, and Faith. With his help, and the grace of God, and my own determination, I came back into my Faith and am now stronger in it than ever before, and happier than I have been in my entire life.

Do you not see the contradictions in the bible? and if you do, do you not care? The Bible was written and translated by many different hands. Most "contradictions" that people may find are in these different translations, how they are interpreted from person to person, etc. Also, there will be "contradictions" between Old Testament and New Testament scriptures due to different times and different godly laws.

Do you follow the bible blindly? or do you question any of it? Have you ever questioned whether you're on the right path? I have never nor will never "follow blindly." I am always questioning and always looking for new answers. Questioning Faith, God, religion, etc. only makes me grow stronger and more confident in my choices and my reliance on God. Every time I question, God brings me to a new realization and a new answer, and my knowledge in Him grows ten fold. It really is an incredible thing and experience.

On a side note. This is a very very sensitive subject for me. I have posted some deep personal stories and experiences, and do NOT like to debate my FEELINGS that I have come to and my Faith in general. I just wanted to post so I could share my experiences to those who were curious.

Keep up with all of our adventures with renovating a 1960s ranch house - check out MY BLOG!

4. .x.MiSS.LADi.x.
    I was raised in church by my grandmother til about 10 when i made the decision not to attend anymore b/c i didnt believe....

A few months ago, Dh's Mother asked us to attend church...So we started going...I go every sunday now...

I still dont really understand...
    The bible is BS...
    & im unsure of this 'God' person...But they tell me to keep at it to better understand
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Where you raised a certain religion? I was raised Baptist. Now, I don't even consider myself Non-Denominational. I'm just... spiritual?

Did something happen to make you "see the light"? There is no one incident that has made me see any light, but there many moments in my life that have led me to where I am. There are also tiny little every day things that show me that there is Someone, Some Higher Power, that is watching out for me.
    For example, last week I got lost, at 1 AM, in DC (thank you stupid ass detours). I was hopelessly lost. I muttered "Please let me get out of here alive" and not a minute later, a Jetta with Maryland tags pulled in front of me. I followed it. It got me to the highway I needed.

Do you not see the contradictions in the bible? and if you do, do you not care? Oh yes, very much. However, the Bible was written by the imperfect hand of Man, and I take everything in it with a grain of salt.

Do you follow the bible blindly? or do you question any of it? Have you ever questioned whether you're on the right path? I question everything in the Bible, and I have come to the understanding that the Bible is gravely flawed, but has a LOT of good "vague guidelines." I think the Bible has literally been lost in translation a thousand times over.

I was an agnostic and then an atheist for a while. I question everything, but I now know that everything, good or bad, has a reason and when I pray sometimes the answer is "no" and sometimes I won't see my answer for years down the road.

ETA: In support of sometimes the answer is not what I want/expect: I prayed for MONTHS for work to get better, for management to make sense, thinking "Something's gotta give!" and it kept getting worse and worse by the DAY. I was miserable. Finally, I had ENOUGH and quit. 1 week later, engaged, another week later, offered best job ever in the one place we want to live.

Sometimes you have to open your eyes to the path you've been shutting your eyes tightly to. I wanted work to be smooth and not as stressful, and He (whoever HE is, God, gods, onmipotent cricket in the trees) kept making it harder and harder because it was not what I was supposed to be doing.
  6. ahimsa
    ahimsa
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    For example, last week I got lost, at 1 AM, in DC (thank you stupid ass detours). I was hopelessly lost. I muttered "Please let me get out of here alive" and not a minute later, a Jetta with Maryland tags pulled in front of me. I followed it. It got me to the highway I needed.
    ROFL! Thats whats wrong with me! If there is a higher power he just doesn't like me because seriously Murphy's law follows me around constantly! Nothing like this has EVER happened to me. Rest assured, if I get lost I will be staying that way. And if there is a possibility of getting mugged in the process or hitting a fire hydrant, then bet your ass I will do that too!
    It's Halloween so.... you know, BOO!