Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Overweight - take away their rights and send them to "rehab"??

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Overweight - take away their rights and send them to "rehab"??

Advertisements
    I've always been curious as to what people think about this subject...

If you're anorexic or bulemic and putting yourself at risk of disorders, diseases and death your family can legally gain control of you in this way, send you to rehab where they'll monitor your food intake and metal health, all that...In hopes of "curing" your disorder.

Same thing with drug addicts - a judge can send you to rehab, too.

What about the reverse - should families of people who are obese be able to take away their rights (since obesity can lead to diseases, disorders and death, as well) ... and send them to weight-loss rehab?

_____

I don't actually know what I feel about this...I'm a firm believer in others not being able to control my life - one way or another. Anorexia or Obesity...Nope, not anyone's call buy mine.
    At the same time, I know that people who would opt for intervention are doing it only out of love and concern.
  2. fridaynightgirl
    It's a tough call. Yes, we love them, we are afraid for them and it certainly grieves us to watch them destroy themselves. BUT, an addict can only get better if they have the desire to do so themselves. If there is a desire but perhaps not the willpower to recover, then it might be a case where that would be ok and still work.

Sheesh, these gray areas make my head hurt! LOL

This is an interesting topic. I'll be intrigued to see if we can discuss it without a catfight.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fridaynightgirl View Post
    It's a tough call. Yes, we love them, we are afraid for them and it certainly grieves us to watch them destroy themselves. BUT, an addict can only get better if they have the desire to do so themselves. If there is a desire but perhaps not the willpower to recover, then it might be a case where that would be ok and still work.

Sheesh, these gray areas make my head hurt! LOL

This is an interesting topic. I'll be intrigued to see if we can discuss it without a catfight.
    i agree with you. they have rehab facilities for overeating and binge eating disorder (i believe it's going in the next DSM version) in addition to anorexia and bulimia. i think if a family is willing to stage an "intervention" or put their minor child in rehab go for it, it does help.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Most definitely YES.

If a loved one is overeating to the point of harming themselves, they surely deserve the best treatment they can get, and I would certainly help them get it.

Not everyone who is obese is a binge eater, but as was established in an earlier thread, we all pretty much agreed that the majority of obese people do overeat. It's a valid concern and a great question!
  5. Loving my soldier since '96
    Loving my soldier since '96
    I think the idea is coming from the heart but like any other addiction you cant force someone to change unless they want to change.
    (Disclaimer: The following information is coming from a Army wife who doesn't actually know any specifics 100%. Often told to her by husband or other wise ones. Though, they all will admit that at times they dont know the specifics neither. The information received should be considered unstable and possibly flammable. Do not disseminate. )
  6. Senior Member
    Wasn't there a story out of Great Britian where a mother was investigated for child abuse because her little boy was obese?
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Well, its all pretty much agreed that BMI is a bad way of determining obesity....so what's the standard and how do you go about testing who is "obese"?
  8. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    Quote Originally Posted by leftover View Post
    Wasn't there a story out of Great Britian where a mother was investigated for child abuse because her little boy was obese?
    Yes, I watched a couple programs about it while I was in the UK visiting friends.

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

9. ahimsa
    ahimsa
    I don't agree with locking people up against their will in any case. You can't FORCE someone to stop what they are doing unless they want to. Rehab is a choice that other people can't make for you. You have to make that choice for yourself or it won't work anyway.
    It's Halloween so.... you know, BOO!
  10. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I think IF the person has a valid food addiction that is greatly endangering their health, then yes, rehab is a good idea. BUT, I don't think that anyone should be allowed to take away their rights or have them deemed unfit to make their own decisions unless they have been diagnosed with a serious mental illness as well. I would be very scared if our country allowed anyone to shuffle fat people into rehab facilities just because they are fat.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast