Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you think?

1. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries

what do you think?

Advertisements

Which side do you think is right or are both right? why?

Minutemen Plan to Sue State Over Adopt a Highway Decision

The anti-illegal immigration group that was turned down in its bid to adopt a highway near a North County border checkpoint plans to sue the state over the decision, it was reported Wednesday.

The San Diego Minutemen applied to the state's adopt-a-highway road cleanup program to be responsible for litter removal along a stretch of northbound Interstate 5 near the San Clemente checkpoint.

Caltrans approved the application in November but rescinded the approval Monday after complaints from immigration supporters.

Now, the Minutemen plan to sue to have the original approval reinstated, The San Diego Union-Tribune reported.

Caltrans officials said earlier this week that it would be too dangerous to allow the group to be there, something Minutemen leader Jeff Schwilk told the newspaper was "dumfounding."

"There is absolutely no reason to fear that our occasional litter removal details would be anything other than orderly, law-abiding and completely safe," Schwilk wrote in a statement to the Union-Tribune.

Caltrans officials have offered the Minutemen a different stretch of highway to adopt on state Route 52, a less traveled roadway. But Schwilk told the newspaper his group has no plans to accept that offer.

"The fear is that you throw a litter group into the fold that is openly passionate about a social issue, and it raises the risk of cars slowing down or stopping to yell encouragement or opposition, (and) additional people near the roadway possibly protesting," Caltrans spokesman Steve Saville wrote in e- mail to the Union-Tribune.
    Last edited by Donna; 01-31-2008 at 01:46 AM.
  2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Eh, I don't know really. I do think that it's a little shady that the Minute Men wouldn't take a different stretch of highway when offered one though...
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    In a way I can see their point. CalTrans approved the spot they wanted. And while yes, I can see that the spot they wanted would be controversial, why should they have to move because someone else has a problem with it? They followed all the right procedures to get that spot and it was approved.

It reminds me of the housing office offering me a different house because one of our neighbors started an altercation with us. Why should "I" have to move because of someone else's issues? KWIM?
  4. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    In a way I can see their point. CalTrans approved the spot they wanted. And while yes, I can see that the spot they wanted would be controversial, why should they have to move because someone else has a problem with it? They followed all the right procedures to get that spot and it was approved.

It reminds me of the housing office offering me a different house because one of our neighbors started an altercation with us. Why should "I" have to move because of someone else's issues? KWIM?
    I can see why they would be upset, BUT, I do think that CalTrans has to worry about all of the drivers on the road and what hazards having a controversial group that is likely to draw protesters is going to present. It's not really FAIR either way, but most of all, it's not fair to the people who drive that road and have nothing to do with the group OR protesting it.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    I do think that it's a little shady that the Minute Men wouldn't take a different stretch of highway when offered one though...
    I agree.
  6. Kat
    stand barefooted in my own front yard with a baby on my hip
    stand barefooted in my own front yard with a baby on my hip
    Well, I know I would be kinda upset if I saw the KKK sponsor a highway, or the Black Panthers sponsor one. So I guess I can see where they are coming from. I know the Minuteman are not as well known as the other groups, but they have their supporters and their haters.
    While its AWESOME that they want to adopt a highway and keep it clean, I think it will just cause more issues than good.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I just read an article on this, and it said they got the stretch of freeway purely by chance... and that just seems a little odd to me. I'm sort of torn actually. Part of me agrees with Donna (more than half me I think), but the other part sort of feels like if they are really just doing their "civic duty" any stretch of freeway would do...
  8. Senior Member
    I don't supprt them, I feel like they are vigilantes. I wouldn't want to drive on that road with my dark skinned son.
    I worship individuals for their highest possibilities as individuals, and I loathe humanity, for its failures to live up to these possibilities.
  9. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    I definitely don't think it is sue-worthy. If you are really looking to do good, then take what you can get.

10. Loving My Navy Veteran
    Loving My Navy Veteran
    Geez, I can see both sides of it, so I'm not even sure what to say. I kinda agree with both sides issues on it, if that makes sense.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast