Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: spin off surrogacy

1. ahimsa
    ahimsa

spin off surrogacy

Advertisements
    I was reading the surrogacy thread and a thought came to mind...

A surrogate effectually sells her body to another couple for baby making. A prostitute sells her body for the sexy time..... so.....

We discussed prostitution in one of my classes the other day so its on my mind. I am not trying to say anyone who is a surrogate is bad, I am just saying there is a similarity.

So why is one legal and the other illegal? Should prostitution be illegal? If so then shouldn't surrogacy also be illegal?
    It's Halloween so.... you know, BOO!
  2. Senior Member
    Hmmmm. Interesting thought, but I don't think that prostitution is illegal because of the idea "it's wrong to charge a fee to use part of your body", I think it probably has more to do with public morality, safety, and health or some similar ideas. And whether you think that's right or wrong, I don't think there's much of a comparison with surrogacy in that respect.
  3. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah982 View Post
    Hmmmm. Interesting thought, but I don't think that prostitution is illegal because of the idea "it's wrong to charge a fee to use part of your body", I think it probably has more to do with public morality, safety, and health or some similar ideas. And whether you think that's right or wrong, I don't think there's much of a comparison with surrogacy in that respect.
    I agree BUT... I wonder what business the government has legislating morality when it comes to the decisions of two consenting adults. And why only certain kinds of morality? You can give your body to whoever you want for free, but if you want to be paid it's illegal?

What if there was a surge of people in politics that believed that if someone couldn't have kids it was because they weren't meant to and decided to make surrogacy illegal? How is that different than criminalizing prostitution? It is still legislating morality.

When prostitution is legal, it actually cuts down in the health risks.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    no lol because one is beautiful and bringing life to the world. The other is discusting and trashy
  5. ahimsa
    ahimsa
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Ordinance View Post
    no lol because one is beautiful and bringing life to the world. The other is discusting and trashy
    Yeah but being promiscuous for free is okay? If we are really going to make moral judgment on the behavior that two consenting adults engage in then why is it okay to have sex when you aren't married?

And where did the idea come from that it is somehow moral to BUY a baby? Isn't that akin to slavery? How can you purchase a human?
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I can't argue this because I never have understood why prostitution is illegal

I mean, yeah, its trashy and disgusting...but...even outside of the "surrogacy" argument...

why is it ok for models to sell their faces and bodies (body parts) for money....but a woman sells her hoo-ha (last time I checked...a BODY PART)....she goes to jail

makes no sense.
  7. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by Devinn View Post
    I can't argue this because I never have understood why prostitution is illegal

I mean, yeah, its trashy and disgusting...but...even outside of the "surrogacy" argument...

why is it ok for models to sell their faces and bodies (body parts) for money....but a woman sells her hoo-ha (last time I checked...a BODY PART)....she goes to jail

makes no sense.
    Yep, totally agree. I don't get it either... Of course I don't understand why gay marriage is illegal.
  8. ahimsa
    ahimsa
    Also, prostitution is okay as long as there are cameras rolling during the act. So having sex for money is okay as long as it is for a movie? Is that really considered "acting">? LOL.
  9. Cookie Queen
    Cookie Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    Yep, totally agree. I don't get it either... Of course I don't understand why gay marriage is illegal.
    Because someone brought God into that argument.
  10. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Quote Originally Posted by vivalacrap View Post
    I was reading the surrogacy thread and a thought came to mind...

A surrogate effectually sells her body to another couple for baby making. A prostitute sells her body for the sexy time..... so.....

We discussed prostitution in one of my classes the other day so its on my mind. I am not trying to say anyone who is a surrogate is bad, I am just saying there is a similarity.

So why is one legal and the other illegal? Should prostitution be illegal? If so then shouldn't surrogacy also be illegal?
    Yeah, what others have said - Prostitution is illegal because of the disease and crime it has and continues to dredge up...But it's not illegal everywhere, still good to go in Nevada.

Surrogacy is the equivalent of donating your organs, IMHO - no sex involved, it's all about reproduction.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast