Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: American military family knowledge

1. Psych Student by Day..
    Psych Student by Day..

Question American military family knowledge

Advertisements
    Do you think (non-military affilated) people of America are rather ignorant to the war that is occurring? And ignorant to the military families and their sacrifices?

I sometimes feel like I'm the only one at work, school and in my family with a military member in my life. This obviously isn't the case, but I meet very few people with a military family member or friend. I meet few people that know what is going on in Iraq, or what military families sacrifice. Even those who watch CNN religiously, they do not know what the military members and their families endure. I really feel like people don't care.

I had one person I work with (a police officer) tell me that "There is no way these guys are coming back from Iraq with PTSD." I think this is the most ignorant comment.

I feel like in other wars it was different. But this is the only war that I actually remember since I am young. Someone fill me in.

Thank you for my siggy Stacey!
    He's home from Iraq!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    no i agree. but it's really no different than a set of parents that has a disabled child and a set that doesnt. You (general) dont know unless you have walked in that person's shoes.
  3. Senior Member
    I have met a few people that were not affiliated with the military in any way, who I felt had no clue what the military was involved with at the present moment.Though, I have more of an irritation with people being uneducated on all of the issues our military forces are undertaking. I feel like a lot of people, military or not, focus more of their attention on Iraq, instead of everything our military is actively serving to accomplish. We have soldiers in other areas that are considered war zones. It grinds my gears when I meet people who are unaware of what our country is involved in, in ALL areas of the world. Not just Iraq.
    Last edited by jen1982; 01-22-2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Typo
  4. Psych Student by Day..
    Psych Student by Day..
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    no i agree. but it's really no different than a set of parents that has a disabled child and a set that doesnt. You (general) dont know unless you have walked in that person's shoes.
    Very true! We can say it about anything. A family with a sick parent, a family whose house burnt down, foster children..the list goes on and on.

I think this is a little different though, because these soldiers are defending American's freedom everyday.

He's home from Iraq!
  5. Psych Student by Day..
    Psych Student by Day..
    Quote Originally Posted by jen1982 View Post
    I have met a few people that were not affiliated with the military in any way, who I felt had no clue what the military was involved in at the present moment.Though, I have more of an irritation with people being uneducated on all of the issues our military forces are involved in. I feel like a lot of people, military or not, focus more of their attention on Iraq, instead of everything our military is involved in. We have soldiers in other areas that are considered war zones. It grinds my gears when I meet people who are unaware of what our country is involved in, in ALL areas of the world. Not just Iraq.
    I agree. I'm not the most worldy person, I don't know everything about the military. But when I tell people that one of our friends just got back from a 15 month deployment..they are like Wow that's a long time! Did he get to come home a lot? Oh, not even for the birth of his daughter? Why not?!

He's home from Iraq!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    exactly. I mean my family has maybe one or two people who have been in the military recently. (beyond husband and myself) I don't think though that my lack of understanding prior to my joining the military should be my own fault. I lived in an area where people just didn't join....it just wasn't the culture of where I grew up. So you can't really fault those who don't live by it for not understanding what life in a military family is like right?
  7. Psych Student by Day..
    Psych Student by Day..
    I guess what I'm asking is..I'm happy this isn't a total war. I'm happy we don't have to ration. But at the same time, I wish we did. Because then, perhaps it would hit home. I hear stories from my mother about Vietnam and she says it is completely different.

He's home from Iraq!
  8. Psych Student by Day..
    Psych Student by Day..
    I think what I'm trying to say just isn't coming out right! I don't know how to say it.

He's home from Iraq!
  9. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

I don't know if it's actually ignorance but rather "stick your head in the sand ostrich style".... "People" dont' like to be made uncomfortable. So whether it's the military, or the handicapped, homeless, drug addicts ect....if it doesn't pertain specifically to them they dont' care on any deep emotional level....oh sure you'll get the "oh I'm sorry" which appeases their sense of "doing something" then they just move on....
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Today's society is all about "me". I dont think rations and the like would change a lot of people's perspective about what really happens in military life. I personally dont think that unless you have lived this life that you can truly understand it.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast