Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Child Monitor

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Child Monitor

Advertisements
    http://www.tbotech.com/child-guard.htm

So i saw this on a child yesterday. I have mixed feelings on it.

One one hand, it's so easy for a child to get abducted, especially in a crowded place such as the mall. However, the way i saw it used yesterday was kinda abusing it. The mom wasn't even paying attention to her child until it beeped. So I would personally would never use one, I am the one who had the child, therefore; i'm the one responsible for her. Not a computer. What about everyone else?

Everyday you spend worrying about tomorrow...you miss living for today...
  2. Banned
    Banned
    As frustrating as it is to see parents being inattentive and NEEDING an item like this if it prevents even ONE child from having something bad happen to them I can't say too much against it, kwim?
  3. fridaynightgirl
    I think anything can be abused. I think there is no better prevention from child abduction than being prepared and alert.
  4. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    I could actually see using one for my DS. He will run off if he can break your hold on him. It happens sometimes. He does not respond to stop. It might be good for us.

I probably wouldn't use in on my DD though. She is capable of listening.

5. Senior Member

I think devices like this would create more of a false sense of security.

It does nothing to secure the child... There are no physical restraints, and the beeping comes from the parent's unit, not from the child's, so if a child were hiding (or were being hidden by a kidnapper), it would take a lot of time to track the child down.

It does absolutely nothing to keep a kid from running into a street, from being kidnapped, or from getting lost in a crowd... All that it does is alert the parent shortly after they've lost control... and attentive, responsible parents wouldn't need a box to tell them that anyways. I feel that devices like this would simply give irresponsible parents even more of a false sense of security and open the way for more kids to be harmed.
    /* no comment */
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cloren1317 View Post
    http://www.tbotech.com/child-guard.htm

So i saw this on a child yesterday. I have mixed feelings on it.

One one hand, it's so easy for a child to get abducted, especially in a crowded place such as the mall. However, the way i saw it used yesterday was kinda abusing it. The mom wasn't even paying attention to her child until it beeped. So I would personally would never use one, I am the one who had the child, therefore; i'm the one responsible for her. Not a computer. What about everyone else?
    I agree with you. I would not buy one unless I had a special needs child. I know it's hard to watch kids 24/7 but as a parent I would feel awful having a child run off.
    Finding more and more truth to the words written in red.-B&D

Goodness speaks in a whisper, evil shouts.
    Tibetan proverb

The greater love is a mother's; then comes a dog's; then a sweetheart's.
    Polish Proverb
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    here's a more pricier model i found...http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/ionk...locator_system

Everyday you spend worrying about tomorrow...you miss living for today...
  8. Senior Member

That second, pricier one looks good. I would actually use something like that on my nieces. I like that it has a much longer range (350 feet, about a football field and a third) so it would be used while kids are playing in a neighbor's house. The child's unit also beeps, letting the kid know that a grown-up will soon be looking for them, so it's time to get back in range... and the parent unit also looks like it would be able to point in the general direction of the kid, allowing a quick and effective search.

For these radio tethers ranging less than about 50 feet, I don't see the point, and think it would only give a false sense of security and encourage irresponsibility. For kids playing around the home, though, the longer range tether would be invaluable.
    /* no comment */
  9. ProudArmyWifeD
    I bought the first one shown, when I was flying from Germany to US with my 17 month old. I wanted it for the crowded airport, just to feel secure. I ended up not using it because I realized that it would not help me locate her (the parents unit is the one that beeps, like someone already mentioned) and I didn't let her out of my arms anyway.
  10. Joy
    Banned
    Banned
    If someone wants to steal a child, they will always find away these systems. The best security system is being an attentive and vigilent parent. I don't believe anything else could be better. Not saying that parents that have had their children snatched weren't that, there is always that split second... but no device of technology will stop someone that is that determined.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast